Bias Plys rear and radial or bias ply fronts...

blownby

Established Member
So i hear the don't mix radial with a bias ply...

Back in my old fox running like 130mph in the qtr mile i ran Hoosier 27 QTP or a 26" full slick with a regular skinny with a radial of some sorts....
I don't ever recall any issues, but do know at times at the end the car does seem to float a tad at times. Not sure if was more due to fact i was on a bias ply/slick(12psi) or the mix match....

But was never really a big deal, and never knew any different.
Since I am getting a new setup, would u say get bias front runner if I am getting Hoosier QTP for rear?

I did at times run a BFG drag radial on the rear with the radial fronts. Seemed to run nice.

Last edited:

JayC

Established Member
You"ll be fine with a radial. Just be aware that the bias ply may move around on you on the big end. I don't think it matters what front tire you have the bias ply will move a little on you.

Last edited:

blownby

Established Member
any downside to bias ply on front, given bias ply rear....
only thing i can think of is if i ever switch to radial rear, have to switch front

-28x4.5 x 18 M&H bias ply is $200
-26 x 6 x 18 MT sportman S/R radial is like $207
-185/50R18 (26") radial is $200 as well

I can't find really any other 18" options.
Hoosie
so cost is about same and seems bias ply is about 5-6# lighter each too

Last edited:

snkbitten6

Established Member
Any true skinny will be fine. The issue is this... A lot of guys just put bias ply tires on the back with their 275 front stock radial... That radial wants to track in the groove, pulling the back end around making it sway/float on the big end. A skinny of sort does not have near as much of a footprint to the track, and doesn't track/grab the groove like a big wide radial. Will it sway with a skinny radial up front.. A little. It'll FEEL like it sways less with a bias ply up there though, as they can move together much more free.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I had QTP's out back and a M&H radial on the front of my old Racestar setup. I had zero sway on the track and zero sway on the streets doing 130-140.

blownby

Established Member
Looks like I'll have to go radial for front as I can't seem to find a 18" bias ply other than the 28" tall M&H and i don't think it will fit with a lowered GT in front.

Users who are viewing this thread