Big Dog Motorcycles.

SOCOMech

Established Member
I'm selling my West Coast Chopper for $25k if you're interested. As for Big Dog, they lead the way for the mass produced customs when the market shot up.....a pretty comfortable bike but they are biiiiiiiiiig. $28k for a Big Dog today is way too much.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I have been thinking about purchasing a Big Dog. Anyone have any experience with these motorcycles? Let me know what you think of them.

I really like the mastiff but they're pretty expensive at 28k.

Big Dog Motorcycles - Models & Accessories

Have you checked craigslist at all? Usually tons of choppers for sale and people tend to lose their ass when they sell them. Resale value tends to take a beating.

Blackness03

Established Member
I thought they went out of business? I almost got a Ridgeback a while back at 12k. No way I would pay over 20k for one. The chopper market isn't what it use to be. It seems the fad is over so prices have dropped a lot. I would still love to have one though.

ModMike1572

Established Member
If you like wrenching and doing things yourself, sure. Nothing but constant problems from these bikes mainly from the electrical system.

Go over to the big dog forums. There's threads over there asking if getting a big dog is worth it... Plenty of big dog owners themselves say nope.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
If you like wrenching and doing things yourself, sure. Nothing but constant problems from these bikes mainly from the electrical system.

Go over to the big dog forums. There's threads over there asking if getting a big dog is worth it... Plenty of big dog owners themselves say nope.

If you stay carbed electronics are pretty darn simple. And thunder heart still services the wiring control. I have a Titan, same basic thing as a big dog. Pretty sure they both use daytec frames. I love mine but the "book" value has went to the basement. Lots of bikes being sold for what the motor/trans are worth.
Keep an eye on craigslist as lots of dealers are buying these "custom" bikes for export and can pay book value and still make money, I know of at least 2 containers a month going for export out of Colorado of customs and higher mileage Harley's..

Jolseen

Established Member

I just went over to bigdogbiker and I think I would be better off getting a Harley.

SVTmunks

Established Member
If you're into the chopper look, check out the Honda Fury. I bought one used in the winter for ~$9k with only 2100 miles on it. It was really comfortable, got looks everywhere I went and had absolutely no mechanical issues.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I have been thinking about purchasing a Big Dog. Anyone have any experience with these motorcycles? Let me know what you think of them.

I really like the mastiff but they're pretty expensive at 28k.

Big Dog Motorcycles - Models & Accessories

Sorry friend :(

I thought they went out of business?

Big Dog Motorcycles is not only out of business but the bank seized nearly everything in 2011.

Big Dog Motorcycles foreclosed on by Wichita, Kan. bank - kwch.com

Big Dog Motorcycles is no more; Intrust forecloses | Wichita Eagle

A group bought all the parts and building and have started a "replacement parts" company called BDM Performance Products where Big Dog was. BDM | A Complete Solution for Big Dog Owners. Your New Source for Parts, Accessories, Apparel & Gear for Harley, Metric, European and Off-road Motorcycles.

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Exactly, because that's the only quality part on a big dog. That badass S&S motor, and then a bunch of pieced together junk.

I would say harleys "candystore" mentality they have adapted has had more to do with book value than anything. trying to eliminate a superior product.
I Guess I feel a little different growing up with pans,shovels, and early evos I don't know why you would want one and not wrench on something yourself?? My dads 2012 flhx is probably the most finicky piece of crap I have been around. Transmission clunks and lurches and being in and out of 3 different dealers its "ok" and with h-d proprietary wheel bearings among several other "unresolved mechanical issues"
I would rather have a black sheep Titan, big dog, borget, or "insert name here" chopper/bike that I could work on with the support of the aftermarket and be working with baker/delkron trans pieces, pm brakes, s&s motors than deal with Harley's bullshit.

Users who are viewing this thread