"Big Mouth" Throttle body vs BBK tb

OneSmokeyCobra

Established Member
First off, HELLO from oklahoma! This is my first cobra, been in love with terminators for years then finally decided to grab a gt500 when a clean one came into work as a trade in. happiest i've ever been in my life!

now my question:

I've seen BBK dual 65mm throttle bodies prove 15 whp gains give or take up to 3hp on mildly modified gt500's without additional tuning. I ran across evo performance through this forum and love the site. I saw a throttle body they call the "super mono-blade big mouth" which looks incredible and much roomier inside than the twin 65mm. does anyone have experience or some dyno results with this tb? would this be complete overkill on a stock blowered car?

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
Welcome!
I would recommend the CJ 65mm Throttle-body, your tuner will thank you. It's easy to dial in and get street drivability along with good power.
A lot of 'mono-blade' TBs can be hard to dial in correctly.
If your car is still stock, there are other alternatives for power where you get more bang for your buck. Like a VMP pulley, or JLT intake.
Good luck, it gets addicting.

OneSmokeyCobra

Established Member
thanks for the info! yeah dont worry, i'm not trying to jump the gun here :D

I just like to plan out my whole modification plans when I first get a car. It keeps me entertained and I can plan it all out and figure out my order of operations.

I'll look into that throttle body for sure, cobra jet i'm assuming is what you mean? sorry i'm out of the loop.

also while I've got you here, will i have an issue running a 4lb lower and 2.6 upper on a stock blower and fuel system? am i still making power at that high a psi on an unported eaton? if so i assume that's the "end of the road" on that blower power wise.

Crushinator

Established Member
After I did all my mods, I reviewed all the throttlebodies out there and the CJ65mm (to me) definitely seemed like the best choice. 50% of my decision was based on performance gains and the other 50% was based on looks. The CJ is real eye candy under the hood.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Welcome! Tulsa here....... I also plan on getting the CJ tb. I won't buy anything bbk, and exactly what the op stated the twin setup is easier to dial in.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
What always strikes me...BBK was at the forefront when fuel injection hit the fox bodies in '86. At one time or another, I've had BBK, Ford Motorsport (post SVO/pre FRPP days), and Edelbrock throttle bodies and they were all of equal construction. In essence, BBK was right up there.

But when I finally jumped from the fox to the S197, BBK didn't have that same level of credibility, so to speak. Seems FRPP has a definite edge here. The downside is cost, at about four times what I was used to paying for. But if tooners like them I guess that is all the more reason to follow suit.

Users who are viewing this thread