Big props to Las Vegas Metro PD and UNLV Campus PD

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I work in Beam Hall at UNLV, where the shooting took place around noon. I don't intend to turn this into a 2A discussion, I just wanted to say that the LVMPD and Campus police exterminated the threat ASAP (unlike Uvalde). Our LEO's deserve a ton of credit today for their skilled elimination of the shooter. I am waiting to see who the 3 deceased victims are, but I have heard through colleagues that there are 3 faculty members who are "unaccounted for." (not responding to calls/texts).

Again, huge thanks to law enforcement for their work today. Amazing job!

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_8659.JPG

Like stockings by the chimney,
I’m hung.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Allegedly the shooter was a 67 year old professor that had taught at other colleges, they did not confirm whether or not if he taught at UNLV… Identity not yet released, probably because this doesn’t fit the narrative they want. I wonder if he shot faculty.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Allegedly the shooter was a 67 year old professor that had taught at other colleges, they did not confirm whether or not if he taught at UNLV… Identity not yet released, probably because this doesn’t fit the narrative they want. I wonder if he shot faculty.

He did shoot faculty, in their offices. It had to be targeted and not random. Wondering if he applied for a job and didn’t get it? Idk

I was impressed with how efficiently law enforcement ended it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
He did shoot faculty, in their offices. It had to be targeted and not random. Wondering if he applied for a job and didn’t get it? Idk

Yeah definitely getting a disgruntled vibe. Glad you are safe man. I don’t know the rules on carry for you, but to hell with them I’d carry anyways.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Not permitted in Nevada.
Figures, but who gives a shit nowadays.. These sorta shootings seem to be happening all too often these days. The pharmacy I go to got robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the day last week. I just about carry everywhere these days, except for the courthouse and airport.. I’d rather be alive to defend myself in court than in the obits.

Last edited:

SGT MERC

Established Member
It's better to have it and not need it... Then to need it and not have it.
Id rather live to beg for forgiveness than die after asking for permission and being told no. My XD40 goes everywhere, as long as there are no metal detectors... Banks, post office, airports.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VegasMichael

Established Member

From what I read he did get turned down for a job. Usually don't see people his age, 67, going on shooting rampages.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Concealed carry in Nevada with a license is allowed.
Open carry in Nevada is legal without a permit.
The problem here is whether it is allowed on a school campus.

Correct, not allowed on public school property (UNLV). I have often thought that doesn't matter and I could conceal and no one would know.
From what I read he did get turned down for a job. Usually don't see people his age, 67, going on shooting rampages.
Yep, confirmed when I woke up this morning.

Identities of the deceased are not revealed yet but I know who they are. Two are very young and were not full professors, they were visiting or instructors.

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
Absolutely and since so many professors are cray, looney, lefties, there's a 90% chance he wasn't team Trump. I'm sure MSM will paint him as a radical right-winger, regardless.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Correct, not allowed on public school property (UNLV). I have often thought that doesn't matter and I could conceal and no one would know.

Identities of the deceased are not revealed yet but I know who they are. Two are very young and were not full professors, they were visiting or instructors.
You know, after the Mandalay Bay Massacre in 2017, I started wondering about the legality of carrying a firearm onto Nevada school campuses since I was a teacher there at the time so I delved into the state regulations of Nevada and here's what I found: if you look at the last item in the following quotation from the regulations, the way I'm reading it is that if you can get written permission to carry on a school campus then it is permissible. (I put it in bold faced type.)

NRS 202.265  Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.

1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:

(a) An explosive or incendiary device;

(b) A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;

(c) A nunchaku or trefoil;

(d) A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;

(e) A pneumatic gun;

(f) A pistol, revolver or other firearm; or

(g) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.

2.  Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

3.  This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:

(a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:

(1) Peace officer;

(2) School security guard; or

(3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

Just my opinion, but you don’t need permission to defend your life. I wonder if the states views on carry will change after this incident.. at least let some faculty in each dept carry. Regardless, I would carry anyways.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
At least here in Kansas, if you are over 21 you can legally carry in College class. People at KU freaked out the most of course, but all the other smaller schools didn't do much but let the lefty professors release statements to make them feel better.

Besides it seems to me that every business has a sign that shows no Berettas. I don't know why they hate Beretta's so much, but then again I do not have a Beretta so I'm good.

I think of them like the "recommended speed limit" on highway ramps. Although I usually try to do 2x what it says as a challenge, especially considering they are more in regards to large trucks. If I can't make a big decreasing radius turn in a Sports or pony car at 40 when it says 20 I deserve the ditch.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
You know, after the Mandalay Bay Massacre in 2017, I started wondering about the legality of carrying a firearm onto Nevada school campuses since I was a teacher there at the time so I delved into the state regulations of Nevada and here's what I found: if you look at the last item in the following quotation from the regulations, the way I'm reading it is that if you can get written permission to carry on a school campus then it is permissible. (I put it in bold faced type.)

NRS 202.265  Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.

1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:

(a) An explosive or incendiary device;

(b) A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;

(c) A nunchaku or trefoil;

(d) A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;

(e) A pneumatic gun;

(f) A pistol, revolver or other firearm; or

(g) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.

2.  Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

3.  This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:

(a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:

(1) Peace officer;

(2) School security guard; or

(3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon.

This is interesting. I may look into this further. There are some things I just don't understand. As you know, UNLV is not in a good neighborhood, and we have homeless people take shelter from the summer heat in our building lobbies, etc. There are also randos roaming campus and I never understood why this was allowed to happen. My colleague explained that we are a public university and the campus is open to the public. I asked her if she would be ok with homeless and randos setting up at her daughter's high school because it is a public school. Obviously that is not OK but why are they allowed to roam freely at UNLV and we don't do anything about it? If they can be here, I should be able to carry. Makes sense to me.
Just my opinion, but you don’t need permission to defend your life. I wonder if the states views on carry will change after this incident.. at least let some faculty in each dept carry. Regardless, I would carry.
Agreed. Better to be proactive than reactive.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Just my opinion, but you don’t need permission to defend your life. I wonder if the states views on carry will change after this incident.. at least let some faculty in each dept carry. Regardless, I would carry anyways.

Doubtful, just double down on restricting concealed carrying for the every day citizen

VegasMichael

Established Member
This is interesting. I may look into this further. There are some things I just don't understand. As you know, UNLV is not in a good neighborhood, and we have homeless people take shelter from the summer heat in our building lobbies, etc. There are also randos roaming campus and I never understood why this was allowed to happen. My colleague explained that we are a public university and the campus is open to the public. I asked her if she would be ok with homeless and randos setting up at her daughter's high school because it is a public school. Obviously that is not OK but why are they allowed to roam freely at UNLV and we don't do anything about it? If they can be here, I should be able to carry. Makes sense to me.

Agreed. Better to be proactive than reactive.
I used to drive by every day on Tropicana on my way to work. It's a sketchy area that has gotten progressively worse. Me and coworkers used to go to the Moose McGillicuddy's on Maryland right across from the campus in the 90s. (Long gone)That campus is very open with so many different ways to get in and out either on foot or by vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread