BIG speeding ticket

Brent16

Established Member
Well, I decided to take the mustang out for a drive friday night and it didn't end well. I live in Texas and was specifically on the outside of Amarillo when I opened her up a bit, sure enough a dps officer got me at 107 mph.......the speed limit is 55 on this road. The officer told me he didn't take me to jail since I didn't try to run from him, plus it was very light traffic, so there was no wreckless endangerment. Anyways, I called an attorney's office and they said there is NO way I can get this off my record, no defensive driving, probation or anything, the best thing to do is just pay the fine....which will be around 300 dollars. I guess I just wanted to ask yall if there is anything at all possible for this not to go on my driving record?

2000GT-281

Established Member
I got pulled over for 110 in a 55 in Iowa last summer. Got an attorney and got it dropped to a 79 in a 55. In Iowa its an automatic revocation of license at the speed I got pulled over at so I got very lucky to get it dropped. I would contest it with a lawyer and hope for the best.

Brent16

Established Member
Were you able to get it off your record or just lower the fine and punishment? I only called one attorney's office, I guess should I try and call some more and see what they say?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
So an attorney told you that basically you were screwed and you want a different opinion? :dw:

Either go talk to another attorney or take the first ones advise. Seems odd that the first one would just say that. :shrug: Were you looking for representation from that office or just friendly professional advice?

Brent16

Established Member
The lady I spoke to on the phone was very nice, but didn't offer me much help. She called the court and then called me back later and told me there is pretty much nothing they can do since I was 52 mph over. I'm just really looking for someone or something that can get this off my driving record. I'm not very familiar with things such as this, I have recieved a speeding ticket before but it was minor and I did my defesive driving and moved on. I'm just looking for all the advice I can get, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
The lady I spoke to on the phone was very nice, but didn't offer me much help. She called the court and then called me back later and told me there is pretty much nothing they can do since I was 52 mph over. I'm just really looking for someone or something that can get this off my driving record. I'm not very familiar with things such as this, I have recieved a speeding ticket before but it was minor and I did my defesive driving and moved on. I'm just looking for all the advice I can get, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

52 over is a pretty big deal. Is it mandatory you appear in court or can you just pay the fine without appearing?

Brent16

Established Member
The attorney talked like I could just call and pay the fine. However, the officer talked that I needed to call the court and set up a date to appear, so Im guessing thats what I have to do, also wouldn't that be better to appear infront of the judge and talk to him?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
The attorney talked like I could just call and pay the fine. However, the officer talked that I needed to call the court and set up a date to appear, so Im guessing thats what I have to do, also wouldn't that be better to appear infront of the judge and talk to him?

It would surprise me greatly if you did not have to appear in court for 52 over.

You should call the court directly and ask. If they tell you that you can just pay the fine...I would pay it and run. You will not fare well in front of a judge. But I doubt you will be that lucky.

For 52 over in Ohio it would land you a mandatory court appearance. Without very good luck and good representation a license suspension, fines and possibly a few days in the pokey would follow.

You might want to sit down with a firm that handles numerous cases within that particular court system.

Kiohtee

Established Member
FWIW, I was pulled over for 80 in a 55 and that was AFTER the cop reduced it on the spot to help me out (it was actually 120 in a 55). I'm not gonna act proud or try to defend my actions, I'm just letting this info out as it's a very similar case. BTW, it was a NC State Trooper, not 'just' a county cop (with all due respect, troopers are usually known to be more strict).

I wasn't wrote for reckless driving either for the same reason actually; I came to a stop in a hurry and there was no traffic. I made no effort to smart off, smirk, or even argue my offense.

The cop told me it was a mandatory court appearance and state law says at even 25 over (much less 65) it was a mandatory license revocation. I got it continued once and never even had to step foot inside a court house. I attended a defensive driving class and paid an attorney to which the offense was dropped to 64 in a 55 and no points on my license and no spike in insurance!

Just call other attorneys and see what your options are bud. Good luck and stay safe!

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
There are a lot of counties in this state that make it mandatory that you appear in court for this kind of speed. Usually anything over 30 mph over the speed limits.
I would say if you did that with more traffic and you were zigging and zagging in and out of traffic there would have been a different outcome.
I know of no way to keep it off your record unless you could be found not guilty by a jury.
Like a lot of other fella's here 300 bucks is not too bad. There are a lot of other states that are well over double this fine.
Talk in Texas, come September the fines are going up again to match some other states. Not sure how much?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Okay, so basically there is no way this is getting off my record?

You admit to going 52 mph over the speed limit, how do you suggest getting it off your record?

You need to find a different attorney.

Also, did the officer check off the box for mandatory court appearance?

Shadow_Stang

SVT Protege
Established Member
There's only one way you can. Couple years back I was doing 134 in a 65mph freeway... cops only clocked me at 110+ thank god. It was 2 a.m, empty freeway and I wanted to see what my old car could do do. Anyways the cop was real nice, luckily I was very well dressed, (was going home from a date)and didn't argue. I thought for sure I was going to jail. The cop ended up giving me the ticket for 77 mph in a 65mph zone, cut me ALOT of slack, I was able to go to traffic school to remove it. Your best bet is to try and get the attorney to get it lowered so that you can take a driving course.

Last edited:

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
There's only one way you can. Couple years back I was doing 134 in a 65mph freeway... cops only clocked me at 110+ thank god. It was 2 a.m, empty freeway and I wanted to see what my old car could do do. Anyways the cop was real nice, luckily I was very well dressed, (was going home from a date)and didn't argue. I thought for sure I was going to jail. The cop ended up giving me the ticket for 77 mph in a 65mph zone, cut me ALOT of slack, I was able to go to traffic school to remove it. Your best bet is to try and get the attorney to get it lowered so that you can take a driving course.

sounded like you got a pretty decent break... being proper and not arguing is always vital :thumbsup:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah different lawyer but unless you are worried about a driving job I'd just pay it and move on.

300 ain't shit for that high over.

SpittinVenom03

Established Member
Well, I decided to take the mustang out for a drive friday night and it didn't end well. I live in Texas and was specifically on the outside of Amarillo when I opened her up a bit, sure enough a dps officer got me at 107 mph.......the speed limit is 55 on this road. The officer told me he didn't take me to jail since I didn't try to run from him, plus it was very light traffic, so there was no wreckless endangerment. Anyways, I called an attorney's office and they said there is NO way I can get this off my record, no defensive driving, probation or anything, the best thing to do is just pay the fine....which will be around 300 dollars. I guess I just wanted to ask yall if there is anything at all possible for this not to go on my driving record?

At least they didnt impound your car. Where i live going about 10-15mph over the speed limit is about $300. So if i got pulled over for going 100+mph and didnt get impounded then found out the ticket was only $300 i wouldnt believe it. Anyway i know if you talk to the judge and ask him if you can do traffic school to take those points off your record. i know you can only do a certain amount of traffic school classes per every so many months, tell the judge you cant afford insurance and that you will do triple the hours of traffic school just to take off that point. its worth a shot if all else fails

Users who are viewing this thread