Biggest Bang for my buck.

Hellspeaker

Snake Bit'
Established Member
Okay i have a 1998 GT. It's nearly completely stock it has exhaust on it and thats it. I already know i'm upgrading the gears to 410's. Should i got for PI swap or what? I really wanna put down around 300-330 hp n/a that would be great. Anyone give me some info on how i can achieve this and ill be happy. Also i'm not really looking to build the $heet out of the bottom end, until i'm ready for fi...so yeah help me out.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
Okay i have a 1998 GT. It's nearly completely stock it has exhaust on it and thats it. I already know i'm upgrading the gears to 410's. Should i got for PI swap or what? I really wanna put down around 300-330 hp n/a that would be great. Anyone give me some info on how i can achieve this and ill be happy. Also i'm not really looking to build the $heet out of the bottom end, until i'm ready for fi...so yeah help me out.

do you want 300-330rwhp or crank?

bs46488

Established Member
I think I read that the PI swap gives around 30 + hp. I'd say it's worth it.

In terms of your n/a goals. I think cams/heads is the only way to get to that number without going fi. But you need to be careful because some kits will not work with fi. so if you ever plan on going there, you'll have issues.

bs46488

Established Member
Google PI Swap, you'll get tons of stuff.

Basically it's new improved heads and intake manifold. Better flow, more power.

No need to build up the motor because your power goals are still within spec of what the block is designed to handle. If you plan to boost or spray, that will kick you over the specs and that is when stuff starts to break.

The recommendation is for 2 mods. 1st the PI swap, then swaping out cams.

intmdtr

Established Member
i have a 96 Gt and just completed installing the PI intake (broke the old one) i would say i am nowhere near the 300hp mark and even once i get the heads on i will not be close either. Maybe 250-260 at the wheels. cams will be a big improvement and so will a good tune, but the best bang for your buck will be to have your heads ported and polished and with a good set of springs you will be ready for cams.

Hellspeaker

Snake Bit'
Established Member
Yeah. Well im thinking about driving the car till the motor blows on it and then putting a 03-04 2v in it, possibly a 3v if i find one for the right price. If im not mistaken they come WITH pi heads and intake right? I was really wondering what that block could handle. With FI i only want around 400-450 hp. I'm not gonna go really high i just want something that will handle some of these boosted imports around here. My main concern i think im gonna go with is getting the suspension set the hell up, getting it a little closer to the earth and getting my body straightened up. Im kinda worried about lowering it tho because i have 18 inch svt 03-04 wheels on it. I dont want any problems out of them. I know alot of people hate this but im gonna do the cobra dumper hood and fogs and what not to it, no emblems but i just love that style. So heres my next question. Should i work on my rear end and transmission now? Or wait till the swap. I wanna put a short throw and some gears in it i know that much. So should i just wait a while and spend the money on my girlfriend or build the piss out of my tranny and rearend. Thanks for all the help so far.

Sonicblu0311

Established Member
Lancaster (village), New York, United States
The 99-04 GT comes with PI heads; basically all they are are the 2v heads with a better port design to allow more airflow in the engine. it is an ok improvement in power and flow, but in the end, it all comes down to how much monet do you want to spend and what are your power goals. if your budget is low, just go with the PI head swap and call it a day till your ready for boost like you said you wanted. Numbers arent everything, obsession with numbers leads to blown engines! (a guy with a 02 GT wanted to beat a 04 Cobra power wise on the dyno and ended up cracking his brand new block...) if you budget is higher, and your eventual power goals are high, drop the cash for the 3v head swap, or if your really droppin cash, go all out for the 4v DOHC setup like in the cobras. a fully race ported and cammed PI head still wont flow as well as a mildly ported 4v head. in the end, its all on goals, with the 4v head swap, decent cams, and i high compression built block you can easily see low 400s naturally aspirated if boost is out of the question... In the end, my opinion is save the money, and go with the 4v swap, even if its only the B-head off the 96-98 cobra...

DaBigBone

Established Member
PI Swap is the FIRST thing you should do hands down. Easiest and cheapest 30+ hp ever.

Hellspeaker

Snake Bit'
Established Member
I know this is totally off topic but.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSixQKJcXE"]YouTube- Drowning Pool-Bodies Cover[/nomedia]

Thats me.
Tell me what you think id appreciate it.

sdg97232

Established Member
The motor has 218k miles on it as we speak. Thats slot thats why i wanna swap.

wow 218,000.....maybe you sould find a low milage p.i. motor and swap that in. then you can start on the bolt-on stuff. i had a 97 gt i did the p.i. swap on that car and its like night and day, the car felt so much more responsive. its money well spent if you stay 2v, i later swaped in a 01 cobra 4v in my 97 gt with full bolt-ons, you sould of seen the look on the ls1 guys fases lol it was priceless!!!

Last edited:

Hellspeaker

Snake Bit'
Established Member
I've found my motor with mps salvage. I can swap it and stay with the original tranny and just change the flywheel so ima do that up. How'd it go with your boltons? No problems with exhaust clearance and shit?

Users who are viewing this thread