Biggest exhaust restriction?

derryck

Established Member
I have a 2.80 pulley and a chip and did 402 RWHP and 459.8 tq both of which are SAE corrected numbers. My question is... what part of the exhaust is my biggest choking point for air flow? I would really like to keep stock cats and cat back portion... if i can get away getting some nice gains with an X-pipe. then that's what I want to do. Thanks.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Really, they both are. The stock H-Pipe has 4 cats, a good aftermarket pipe has 2 High Flow cats - much less restrictive. The stock catback has a chambered muffler to quiet the exhaust, and bends in the tubing that crimp (i.e - the diameter gets smaller at the bend) as opposed to a good "straight through" muffler and mandrell bent tubing that keeps the same diameter through the turns - which allows for a better free flow design.

GOGO-03

Established Member
Originally posted by derryck
I have a 2.80 pulley and a chip and did 402 RWHP and 459.8 tq both of which are SAE corrected numbers. My question is... what part of the exhaust is my biggest choking point for air flow? I would really like to keep stock cats and cat back portion... if i can get away getting some nice gains with an X-pipe. then that's what I want to do. Thanks.

Hey Derryck, I think my car gained at least 20 hp with the magnaflow catback which was my first modification, even before the air filter. That stock exhaust really smothers the engine. Our engines are naturally loud anyway. Take a look at my sig.:rolling:

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
I haven't done the exhaust system yet but will this spring.

In looking at the stock system it appears the real choke point is where the pipes crimp into the front and rear of the mufflers. They are crimped down to 1 and 15/16" OD which results in less than about 1 7/8" ID. It looks to me that the biggest overall gain from one exhaust system component will be from a good Catback system.

Anyone done dyno runs with only Catback and then Catback plus X-pipe?

Gord

OverToad

Established Member
Derryck,
In order to really open up the engine, you must help the car with it's "breathing". This means the first things you should take care of are the inhaling and exhaling of the car. CAI and exhaust.
You've got a 2.8 pulley and a chip. All I have is bassani catback and xpipe.
I made identical numbers as you did with just the exhaust mods. That includes the air filter still in the car.
With that pulley and a half-decent chip, you should be making AT LEAST 50 more hp and tq.
You obviously are looking for some big horsepower gains, so don't sell yourself short. :beer:

Grumpy

Established Member
Here's what only two minor mods did for me:
411 RWHP and 388.6 RWTQ...
gained 29 RWHP and 9.9 RWTQ from...
just the addition of a UPR CAI and...
a Magnaflow Cat-back.

And yes; I'm still running the factory intermediate pipe with all four cats.

Users who are viewing this thread