Bike Vs. Car question... I'm clueless

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
Well, here's the deal...

I usually get coffee at a nearby Coffee Bean (here in Los Angeles) and there's an older gentleman, maybe 40 and about 200lbs., who has a Honda bike of some sort. He said there isn't a street-legal car on the road that can touch him from any speed roll or from a dig. After hearing him talk his bike up a whole lot, I was expecting it to be a CBR 900RR, 954RR, 1100 or something similar. To my suprise, it's not even a race bike; rather a cruiser. He said it's a Honda V-Twin 1200 or something. I believe he said it was a late 80's bike maybe early 90's.

Now, here's my question... He asked me if I wanted to race for pink slips, which is rediculous due to the difference in value. What I told him is that we can agree on his bikes value and if I lose, I can pay him such an amount. He said I can set the terms of the race, so I said 0-60 (from a dig) and I can use DR's or slicks. What do you guys think? Do I have any chance? Though I don't ride, I was thinking it would be hard to launch a bike like that. Those bikes seem a lot heavier than racing bikes and he himself is fairly heavy.

DO I HAVE ANY CHANCE IN HELL? :read:

dragaddict

Stock, a four letter word
Established Member
It depends on the riders experiece level of course, launching a bike isn't too tough really, the clutch is a lot easier to manipulate than in a car,

You need to know what is done to the bike if anything and what model before you agree to any circumstance, are you sure he didn't say v-tec, Honda has a large displacement bike that is fairly quick?

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I'm fairly sure he didn't say v-tech as I think that applies to their (Honda's) cars. From what I know the bike is a 1200, is stock, and he claims to be a fairly good rider.

My thinking is that if I get a really good launch, he will be playing catch-up. I could be wrong though...

Remember, only from about 0-60.

Last edited:

dragaddict

Established Member
http://powersports.honda.com/motorc...e=Super+Hawk&ModelYear=2005&ModelId=VTR1000F5

I found this and the interceptor is the one I was thinking of...

I'm not really familiar with Honda's line, I mostly ride motocross, the only street bike ive ridden lately was an 05 GSXR 1000. It was this week and I wouldn't race against it in my big block camaro if I had traction, not even with spray... It runs mid to high 9's in the 140 to 150 mph territory...

j-rock

What kind of numbers do you run? I'll put it this way I own a 2003 Cobra and a 2004 Honda RC 51 sportbike. In the 1/8 mile my cobra will out run the bike by about .3 of a second. On the other hand my bike will out run my cobra in the 1/4 mile by about .7 of a second. If any of that info helps with your decision. 0-60 no problem.

Last edited:

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I think this guy just has a big mouth and can't ride too well.

J-rock, very helpful. I'm thinking that because it's not even a sportbike I would have a better chance, yet at the same time I dont have an 03/04 Cobra.

Last edited:

dragaddict

Established Member
I know you said 1200 and crusier, but I just don't picture someone saying crap like that about a cruiser, (somnething I don't have any experience with) .

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
dragaddict said:
I know you said 1200 and crusier, but I just don't picture someone saying crap like that about a cruiser, (somnething I don't have any experience with) .

When put in front of 10 or so other males, some take such an arena as an opportunity to make their pepe sound bigger... My assumption is that he didn't think anyone in the group had a quick car so he made the statement about beating any street legal car. My friend raised the BS flag and mentioned me running him with slicks or DR's.

dragaddict

Established Member
quik but if he can't ride, you are golden, I suggest you educate yourself on your prey, but in a short race you have potential, I'd say too close to call, as it is not my money and I don't if the bike is stock, or the condition, or the quality of rider...

Some of these others may know more, and be able to help.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I think he said it was a Honda, I'm going crazy now. I figured a guy with an attitude like his, and ignorance about bikes, would be easing pickings

BlackSabbath

Established Member
A stock VMax is fast from the factory but suffers from poor aerodynamics. A friend of mine has one and it's nice in a straight line but gets scary around a turn.

If you are looking for a fast bike check out the Suzuki Hayabusa.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
BlackSabbath said:
A stock VMax is fast from the factory but suffers from poor aerodynamics. A friend of mine has one and it's nice in a straight line but gets scary around a turn.

If you are looking for a fast bike check out the Suzuki Hayabusa.

No bikes for me, but if anything I'd get a 12R. I'm trying to see if I can beat him from a dig till about 60. If so, Ill have a new bike for free (if hes not bullshitting).

Boosted97

I wish I had a Cobra
Established Member
what #'s do you run? guys around here that run low 11's(like 11.0-) or lower race 600s from rolls and can usually take them, and for some reason i have a hard time believing a cruiser could beat a sport bike, but i don't know much about bikes. my dad has the triumph rocket 3, never riden it but it's a v-twin 3200cc bike, weighs 800lbs without him on it, but moves pretty good and i wouldn't consider him a excellent rider, novice if anything.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I put down about 300rwhp and 300rwtq. I have a good amount of suspension mods but I'm missing some sticky tires (due to it being a DD). Though I have to say, the Kumho MX's are some of the best tires I've had on all my stangs

Users who are viewing this thread