Billetflow Diff Brace installed tonight *pic*

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Let me start by saying this thing is a work of art. Very well made and after you install one you will know that it is EXACTLY the right size to install without pulling the diff. Any bigger and you could not get it in there. As is installing it is ... an adventure.

My tips for this install would be ratcheting box end wrenches. I can't imagine installing this without them. May as well close your eyes for the install, you can't see most of the bolts you need to get at anyway. Gotta feel your way around. This pic should give you an idea of what I mean.

46ztmx2.jpg

Look closely at the spot I have the arrow going to, it's not the first bolt you notice that I mean, waaaay back up and behind that near the fuel filter is another one. That one's fun! The bolt hole I have circled kinda sucks too because in order to start that bolt you have raise the diff up with a jack. No big deal, but wanted to point it out.

The part of the install that gave me the most trouble was the 2 largest bolts that connect the rear of the diff to the rear diff bushing part. I could not for the life of me get those started. I ended up having to pry on them with a long screwdriver to keep pressure on them as I used a box end wrench on them to turn. Slow going :rollseyes

Next up: install hard launch brace, rear rotors and pads and cut rear springs. Maybe this weekend...

All things considered this thing is one very nice piece of hardware and looks like a lot of design work went into it, it fit the diff like a glove. :rockon:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Is this the sort of thing that can be installed and would be installed easier w/ the dif/rear end out of the car?

Nice work btw!

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I installed mine when I had the whole IRS out. It was ridiculously easy with the pumpkin sitting in your lap.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
01YellowCobra23 said:
i got one of them bad boys on order!!!

im combating the wheel hop monster

I dont think it will help much with wheel hop...its more saving your rear end from exploding, at least thats what i thought :shrug: .

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
wals9331 said:
I dont think it will help much with wheel hop...its more saving your rear end from exploding, at least thats what i thought :shrug: .

Correct.

And yes, this thing would be 100X easier to install with the diff out.

You will need a small socket for the "fun" one way up in the back and ratcheting box end wrenches for all others. Without the ratcheting box end wrenches you will be turning the bolts a quarter turn at a time with open end wrenches.

The large 3/4" head bolts were the ones that gave me trouble. I would add a step to the directions though and take an awl or similar and scrape a mark into the black diff rear diff bushing block thing so that you know exactly what height the diff was at. Then when you get ready to feed those 3/4" bolts, you can jack the diff up to the exact correct height.

I'll be honest guys, on jackstands working on my back this install took me about 3 hours with no breaks. :rollseyes

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
dropping the rear of the IRS in the same way as the method that makes spring changes vastly easier would make this job a WHOLE lot easier...

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
quick01snake said:
dropping the rear of the IRS in the same way as the method that makes spring changes vastly easier would make this job a WHOLE lot easier...

Well...live and learn I guess, I followed the directions that came with it from Billetflow. :shrug:

*edit* What exactly IS the "dropping the IRS method" for rear spring changes? I have done a search but can't find any pictures and all descriptions say "remove shocks and rear IRS bolts." What bolts are those? The ones in the wheel wells above the wheels?

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
remove the lower shock bolts, i think you have to loosen brake lines or hang the calipers maybe, not for a spring install though...then you support the IRS by it's frame, remove one bolt each side where the IRS frame attaches to the bracket mounted on the unibody...

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
when i did the springs in mine we ended up pulling the two rear main IRS bolts and loosened the front ones enough to let it swing down and we never had to do anything with the brake lines.. just pay close attention to them so you dont go too far.

+1 on the brace!! I did not even want to attempt that thing! LOL so i had that and diff bushing installed same time as my gears. By looking at your pics i think i made a wise choice paying someone to do it.

wallie40

Established Member
^^Exactly, unbolt the shock from the IRS, loosen the brake line hose, support the IRS from the rear and pull the 2 rear bolts. Lower the jack slowly and the springs will come right out. Simple....

-pAul

Users who are viewing this thread