Bilstein struts popping

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
So I finally installed a set of front bilstein struts i bought from a guy on svtp and have a issue with them right off the bat.

There's always a small popping coming from the front suspension while going slow up and down driveways at an angle and anytime I'm going slow and turn the wheel. Like a rubber mallet tapping the strut tower

I tried retightening the swaybar endlinks, the strut tower bolt and also the two holding it on the steering knuckle. My ball joints are year old X2s by steeda and tie rods are steeda as well

The car handles better than ever compared to stock GT struts so I don't know if they are blown or what the deal is.

Did I just get the shit end of a good deal? Any one else have this problem? They are warrantied for life... Can I get them rebuilt under their warranty?

Also posted under new edges

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Hey man, I am going to subscribe to this bc i am having the same issue. I've had a few buddies look at my front end and everyone says everything is in order but when I'm driving i get popping when i start slowing down or backing up and turning the wheel or hell just turning the wheel in general sometimes. Its annoying right?!? I plan to break down my front end and rebuild it in the next couple weeks. I'm just doing new ball joints and all my bushings. I;ll let you know if anything changes. I honestly don't think it will. I've been told its my wheel bearings but I've checked them and everything checks out. What is the deal with the struts being lifetime warranty? I've never heard that before? can you elaborate? Good luck bud. i'll be snooping in on your thread. I hope someone can help you and I.

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
I have new wheel bearings as well. One failed so I did both a while back
Yep we have the exact same problem! I find it funny a strut can act up yet still work 100% rite?
I'm not sure about this warranty. I wish I could link you but someone had a thread about their bilsteins popping on a fox and got em repaired under warranty
Hopefully someone will chime in soon

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Yeah, i hope someone does too. I'm going to show this to my buddy and have him chime in. He's pretty knowledgable and might no where to start at least.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I'd give Bilstein's customer support a call and ask them what they think about the strut poping and if there is a way to check it out without sending it in and lastly about warrrenty work. I know Blietein struts can be sent in for re valving which I actually plan on doing.

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
I'd give Bilstein's customer support a call and ask them what they think about the strut poping and if there is a way to check it out without sending it in and lastly about warrrenty work. I know Blietein struts can be sent in for re valving which I actually plan on doing.

I called bilstein and he told me he has never heard of anyone experiencing popping of any kind. So he did me a loop around and told me to swap out the strut isolaters I got with them back to my GTs and see if that helps cause he agrees its something to do with rubber so the isolators are my first guess.
He then sent me the instructions how to install like I didn't do it already.
So that job will keep me busy...

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It sounds like its worth a shot. I mself have never heard of a strut causing any popping either. it sucks but you need to isolate piece at a time until you get it figured out. I hate replacing parts that arent bad but it may be a good time to start upgrading stuff while you isolate.......

As far as the struts I would find someone local that is willing to swap for a few days and see if it reall is the struts.

How are the bushings in your control arms look/feeling?

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
You re-used the factory Black Dust Boots correct? The Bilstein blue dust boots won't work on our cars.

10sec89

Established Member
I have finally cured my Cobra of the pop and creak noises. I had been threw the shorter steering rack mount tubes, rack bushings and such only to still have an annoying creaking sound on left turns. New Strut's cured the problem! I think being lowered hammers the factory Bilstein struts. I replaced mine and the car drives and rides awesome, never realized how bad the factory struts were wore.

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
I have finally cured my Cobra of the pop and creak noises. I had been threw the shorter steering rack mount tubes, rack bushings and such only to still have an annoying creaking sound on left turns. New Strut's cured the problem! I think being lowered hammers the factory Bilstein struts. I replaced mine and the car drives and rides awesome, never realized how bad the factory struts were wore.
But they still dampen and do everything they are supposed to do. Suspension is hard as a rock!! That's the confusing part
Worst comes to worse (after swapping the isolators and alignment) ill have to look at getting replacements.
I wouldn't buy new ones anyways. I'd just get it re valved from bilstein for like 75 bucks a pop

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member

THANK YOU TROY!!!!!! :beer:

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
But they still dampen and do everything they are supposed to do. Suspension is hard as a rock!! That's the confusing part
Worst comes to worse (after swapping the isolators and alignment) ill have to look at getting replacements.
I wouldn't buy new ones anyways. I'd just get it re valved from bilstein for like 75 bucks a pop

Mine are the same way. Everything seems legit. I use had my alignment done and the mechanic that did it said everything was just fine. Couldn't find anything wrong. My buddy Troy that chimed in gave it a quick look and still couldn't find anything.

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
I called bilstein and he never heard of any other instances! Feel free to take a stab at calling and talking to someone else with more insight.
So I guess you just gave up on a solution after countless tries :(

Last edited:

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
I called bilstein and he never heard of any other instances! Feel free to take a stab at calling and talking to someone else with more insight.
So I guess you just gave up on a solution after countless tries :(

Oh no, I still haven't given up. Thats why I subscribed to this. I need answers. I'm actually in the process of getting my bushings and new ball joints to rebuild my control arms. IDK if that will help or not but I will keep you posted. I was already planning on calling Bilstein tomorrow and let you know what they say. You and I are in this together. :beer: hahaha. Give me the number you called, maybe it'll help. I'm not giving up on this.

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
Oh no, I still haven't given up. Thats why I subscribed to this. I need answers. I'm actually in the process of getting my bushings and new ball joints to rebuild my control arms. IDK if that will help or not but I will keep you posted. I was already planning on calling Bilstein tomorrow and let you know what they say. You and I are in this together. :beer: hahaha. Give me the number you called, maybe it'll help. I'm not giving up on this.

Hahaha alright buddy! (858) 386-5900 and follow the automated crap until you get a human. I suggest control arm bushings first (unless you wanna knock all of em out). The CA bushings and the swaybar endlinks are the only things still stock on my front suspension
GOOD LUCK TO US BOTH

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
Try grabbing the strut shaft or the housing and pull it back and forth really hard. There should not be any movement and if there is you have a bad strut. All this should be done while still installed in the car with just the tire removed and supported on a jack stand.

Warrior627

Established Member

10sec89, what struts did you use? Bilsteins again? I've got a popping sort of noise when turning at a slow speed into a parking spot, standing still and turning the wheel back and forth I can make the noise happen. I've only had the Cobra a few weeks and with the weather here I only got to put about a 100 miles on the car. So I'm not going to go too crazy till I can have a friend listen and look as I turn the wheel but was interested in what struts you used just in case that's the problem.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
10sec89, what struts did you use? Bilsteins again? I've got a popping sort of noise when turning at a slow speed into a parking spot, standing still and turning the wheel back and forth I can make the noise happen. I've only had the Cobra a few weeks and with the weather here I only got to put about a 100 miles on the car. So I'm not going to go too crazy till I can have a friend listen and look as I turn the wheel but was interested in what struts you used just in case that's the problem.

Steering rack bushing my car does this all the time

Users who are viewing this thread