Black car

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
I have a Black car. don't want to get all those little scratches in it. What should I do post wash. ie. wax and stuff?
I'll sit back and read thanks :pop:

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
rocknrod said:
I have a Black car. don't want to get all those little scratches in it. What should I do post wash. ie. wax and stuff?
I'll sit back and read thanks :pop:

Unfortunately swirls are almost inevitable, especially in hot climates like Texas. Your best defense is using good products to wash, dry and polish your paint. A lot of people use 2 buckets to wash their car, that is a soild plan. 1st bucket for the belt line and up to the roof, 2nd bucket for everything below the beltline. I would also recommend you use separate wash mitts for the top and bottom. Next use a quality drying towel, the waffle weaves are good, and anything microfiber is better, less chance to scratch while drying.

Paint care: Claying is almost a mandatory step these days, it will remove the junk on the surface that washing wont touch. A good trick is to take a plastic grocery bag, place your hand inside and lightly rub across your paint, try this before then right after you use the clay. You wont believe the difference.
Clay will not remove the swirls though, for that you will need something like our Tropi-Care Swirl Cutter, this is designed to remove the smallest scratches.
If you dont have an orbital buffer, I highly recommend you buy one. I like the Porter Cable 7424 with a 6" hook & loop backing plate.
Now that the paint is clean and swirl free, you need to polish it. I recommend the Tropi-Care TC-3, it will give your black paint that deep shiny luster that you are desiring. You dont need anything more than the polish, but if you want, you can go over the top with a wax. You can also use multiple layers of the polish. It will build the shine and add more portection for the paint.
Once again using the orbital polisher with our black finish pad, will make this a fast and easy step.
Last is the in between steps, use a good Detail Spray with a microfiber towel this will help to repel dust and make your polish last longer.

Shoot me an email if you have more questions.

Chris

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
Teal94BirdV8 said:
are clay bars okay for vehicles without a clear coat??

Clay bars will work on any finish. Clay will remove a micro thin layer of material, because it is essentially 5000 grit sand paper suspended in the clay. So on a non-clear finish, you will be removing a micro thin layer of the paint, instead of the clear. But nothing does as good of a job at cleaning the paint like clay will.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread