Black Chrome FR500's with White lip?

ballx4xlife

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a spare set of black chrome fr500's sitting around and I have an idea on getting them repainted. I added a white lip/dish on photoshop. Its not the perfect editing so youll have to use your imagination a little. For some reason the car looks gray, I think its from the HD camera on my iphone adjusting to the light. Let me know what you think.
img0079aay.jpg

Last edited:

94venomV8

Established Member
I actually like it on that car, coming in I didnt think I would. But it could look pretty cool if done right. Only problem is it will be alot of taping and measuring to make sure that its painted to the same spot on the spokes on every spoke. So you dont have one spoke that has paint going up further or what not. The other thing is if you have them powder coated I dont know how the black chrome would respond to the heating of the powder, but just something to think of so you dont ruin the black chrome you like.

ballx4xlife

Established Member
I actually like it on that car, coming in I didnt think I would. But it could look pretty cool if done right. Only problem is it will be alot of taping and measuring to make sure that its painted to the same spot on the spokes on every spoke. So you dont have one spoke that has paint going up further or what not. The other thing is if you have them powder coated I dont know how the black chrome would respond to the heating of the powder, but just something to think of so you dont ruin the black chrome you like.

How do you think I should paint them? Should I paint them just like the black fr500's with a polished lip? Or should I have the white go in and around the spokes? I will Photoshop what I am talking about if you don't understand what I'm tryin to say

svtcobralover

Established Member
Just a warning to you, black chrome is the worst to take care of. Everyone that I know who has had them has had them peel, flake, and oxidise off. Which they all ultimately had them painted.

94venomV8

Established Member
How do you think I should paint them? Should I paint them just like the black fr500's with a polished lip? Or should I have the white go in and around the spokes? I will Photoshop what I am talking about if you don't understand what I'm tryin to say

No I get what your saying, I was saying that is whats gonna be the most difficult part is painting around each one of the spokes and insuring that you dont screw up the black chrome finish. Your going to probably have to scuff the chrome up where you paint to insure it will stick and even then it will probably chip off unless it is powder coated. With the powder I dont know how well the black chrome will hold up as I am not a powdercoater or anything, just kinda throwing my .02 in. However I do like the look you have photoshopped in, something unique about it, sure you can see the white lips on high dollar wheels like true forged but to see them on a standard wheel like this looks cool/different. I think you should go for it, but if you do just make sure it will last and its done right. No sense in putting a lot of money into having them painted and then 2 weeks later paint and or black chrome start flaking off and looking like crap.

94venomV8

Established Member
Oh and another option would be to just do a white pinstripe around the lip of the wheel. That would look kinda neat too and not be so much work. You could do it with 1/4" white pinstripe tape first to see if you like the look, and if you do then go for it, if not simply pull the tape off.

ballx4xlife

Established Member
No I get what your saying, I was saying that is whats gonna be the most difficult part is painting around each one of the spokes and insuring that you dont screw up the black chrome finish. Your going to probably have to scuff the chrome up where you paint to insure it will stick and even then it will probably chip off unless it is powder coated. With the powder I dont know how well the black chrome will hold up as I am not a powdercoater or anything, just kinda throwing my .02 in. However I do like the look you have photoshopped in, something unique about it, sure you can see the white lips on high dollar wheels like true forged but to see them on a standard wheel like this looks cool/different. I think you should go for it, but if you do just make sure it will last and its done right. No sense in putting a lot of money into having them painted and then 2 weeks later paint and or black chrome start flaking off and looking like crap.

Yeah I know what youre sayin. I have a local powdercoating shop that I think can do black chrome. I maybe just spray paint white or put white tape on and see if I like it then I can take it to them and they can paint to whole wheel for me.

Users who are viewing this thread