Black Cobra 12 hour detail

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
So I finally decided to try my hand at more serious detailing of the cobra after 8 years of simply hand washing and throwing on coats of wax. Also, the car did sit outside for a number of months, and unfortunately was hit by a sprinkler over night once, leaving it with very bad water spots. I was excited to start fixing her up, so the only before shot I have is a horizontal bumper surface, but I feel it fairly depicts how bad the paint was. The rest of the shots are after shots taken on my iphone.

Products used were:
Meguiars Smooth Service Clay kit
M105 on CCS Orange Pad
M205 on CCS Gray Pad
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 applied by hand (3 coats)

photo13.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo14.jpg

I still need to figure our how to polish up the glass, as it has a number of water spots also. Any feedback on how to improve how it turned out?

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Put a coat of wax on it, sealant brings some shine out but its meant more for protection of the paint. Adding a coat of wax to it will bring more of a shine out! I always wax my windows when they are spotted really bad.

glittle75

Established Member
I would definitly get a coat of a nice carnuba wax on there. I like Pinnacle Souveran, but since you went with wolfgang sealant, may want a wolfgang wax as well.
Looking at your pics, you need a good tire cleaner. Go pick up some Meg's all wheel and tire cleaner. It can be had for cheap OTC, and it works. Spray it on the whole thing, and get a brush to spread it around evenly. Then after it dwells for about 3 minutes, agitate it really good then rinse. It will pull the brown "ozone" out of the tires and leave them with a nice clean black look. An it makes tire dressing go on easier.

For glass, try some distilled white vinegar on a MF. If that doesnt get them they are etched in good. Then you will need to decide if you want to spend money on a glass correction kit (expensive), or just hide them with some compound and a sealant.
I have spots to, and when I correct my paint, I just clay and compound the glass. Then wipe it good and use a glass sealant. Yes they are hidden, and it needs to be corrected, but look around at the prices of a glass correction kit you will use once, and I cant justify the price. And correcting your front windshield will take longer than all the paint on your car. Because the glass is so hard it cuts really slow.

Hope this helps, And LOOKING GOOD!!

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
Thanks for the tips on the tires and glass. I purposely did not touch them yet because I was trying to figure out the best way to get them looking right, rather then rush in a do something that would be a waste of time and money. I've heard of using distilled vinegar, do you use it straight or dilute it out before using?

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Came out great!

For the glass, try claying the glass first, and there are some glass polishes out there that are mildly abrasive that should clear up some light scuff marks. Be careful with the class though, if don't incorrectly, you can affect the viability

ctgreddy

Established Member
what methods did you use applying it and taking it off? did you apply it with a buffer then just wipe it off with mf towels? I just bought a black cobra about 3 weeks ago and it's in dire need of a good buff and i'm looking for all the advice I can get to do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread