Black wheels - powder coat? Logistics.....

rlearp

Established Member
I saw someone's sig that had a grey L with black wheels. I have a grey L as well and would like to duplicate that look, it was nice.

I like the stock wheels just fine so don't feel like buying larger ones or a different style. How do you folks manage the logistics of powder coating the wheels (I assume they are powder coated)?

My L is my daily driver and I don't know how long it'd take for a shop to do them for me. Seems like there would be a lot of unmounting and mounting of tires, as well as a good deal of shipping and downtime.

I could paint them black, but I have my doubts on how well I could do this. I'm very good mechnically, but hate bodywork and painting.

Anyone with some insight on how to best accomplish this please let me know.

Thanks,
Ron

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I think that thieris a write up on how to paint you wheels in the how to section. As far as powdercoating, that's really the way to go, but yea it takes time, and it's not exactly as cheap as getting a burger from McDs.

TXRickC

Established Member
I lucked out back in June '04, friend who then worked at a local Ford dealership had his C5 Vette wheels done black, they used a shop in the DFW who specialized in OEM wheel repairs. I wanted my stockers to be p-coated black with machine finished lips (like the 93 Cobra 'R', '96 GS Vette, '02 CE Trans Am)

I got home from work around 2:45pm on a thursday, jacked up the truck and removed the wheels/tires. Tossed them in my Ranger and headed to the delaership. 4:00pm there was a van from Wheel Technologies there to pick them up. Friday afternoon I got a call from my friend saying the wheels would be there by 5pm! Wow, didn't think it would be so quick.

For $340 they picked them up, removed tires, stripped wheels, coated wheels, painted plastic caps, re-mounted and balanced tires and delivered back to Austin (170 miles each way) all in 25hrs.

Might see if there is any place like this in your area.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Mine is DSG with black wheels.

IMG_8200.gif

The only problem with painting or powdercoating your stock wheels is if you want the polished lip, it'll have to be machined like AustinSVT had his done. His turned out really nice. As a matter of fact, I was on the fence about getting black wheels, but when I saw his in person, it made up my mind on the spot.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
i painted mine. took a good day and a half of work cleaning, prepping, and painting.

i did this for the mean time, but i do plan on getting them powder coated. find a local powder coater and get an estimate. and yes, you would have to take all your wheels off the truck, unmount the tires, get them powder coated, and remount and install them..

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
From what I understand, the paint can eventually crack on painted wheels if the paint is aftermarket and/or not done professionally. I suggest dropping the extra money for a good powdercoat job.

ctx97

Established Member
I do some powdercoating on the side, Those that got your wheels does for 220-240, those are some very good prices. Is that a big time shop or a small one and did that include bead blasting the wheels?

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
AustinSVT has the nicest set-up as far as using the stock wheels.I like
it so much that I have considered buying a set of 03/04 wheels myself.
I believe the polished lip is the key to help distinguish the wheel.I definitely
don't like the wheel to be all black or dark grey....The wheel just seems to
get lost IMO.From all the searching and reading I've done,it seems like prof.
powdercoating is the way to go.There have been some nice results with
the rattle-can for a few guys on here.If my stockers were chipped up or
tired looking and I didn't have the time or money for powdercoating....I'd
give the old rattle-can a shot....Goodluck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread