Bleeding intercooler system (help)

Cody M

Established Member
Is this a new intercooler brick or what was changed recently??
I don’t know when it was installed but it’s the LFP Intercooler brick. And all the lines are correct, what would I have to do to unclog it? I’ve pushed so much air through it and got some flow as old coolant came out but when it’s running by itself with the pump nothing comes back into the tank

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd hook up a hose to the intercooler just to see how much flows out. If it is clogged you're going to have to removed it and take it to a radiator shop to be flushed or replaced it.

I don't know of anyone running that intercooler so I can't say anything about quality.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Dumb question, is it freezing temps where you are? Did it have water in there that’s frozen possibly? Have seen several freeze and crack over the years and flood the lower intake.

Like Bob said above, remove the blower and intercooler and flush it with a hose, go both directions and try to dislodge whatever is in there. Maybe a plug was left inside during installation that was supposed to be removed.

Cody M

Established Member
Dumb question, is it freezing temps where you are? Did it have water in there that’s frozen possibly? Have seen several freeze and crack over the years and flood the lower intake.

Like Bob said above, remove the blower and intercooler and flush it with a hose, go both directions and try to dislodge whatever is in there. Maybe a plug was left inside during installation that was supposed to be removed.
Not sure what previous owner ran but I’m assuming 50/50, and it’s 30s over here, but I’m going to try and blow some more air through it, if not I’ll just take it back to the shop and have them look over it

Cody M

Established Member
So I swapped the lines on the heat exchanger just to see if some how that was the case, still nothing came out, barley dribbled out, so I took the return line off with the pump running and blew air into it seeing it the back pressure would make it start flowing but what ended up happening was coolant leaking out the back of the motor by the bell housing lol, and idk why so that’s where I’m at with this car lmao

03' White Snake

Established Member
So I swapped the lines on the heat exchanger just to see if some how that was the case, still nothing came out, barley dribbled out, so I took the return line off with the pump running and blew air into it seeing it the back pressure would make it start flowing but what ended up happening was coolant leaking out the back of the motor by the bell housing lol, and idk why so that’s where I’m at with this car lmao

How much air pressure are you sending through this thing? I believe the stock cap is vented at 15 psi or something. It's not meant to hold 100 psi of air pressure. Sounds like a cracked or leaking IC brick. I would assume if you blew out an O-Ring on the front of the IC, it would still leak into the lower intake.

Time to pull the blower and look if the lower intake is full of fluid.

Last edited:

Cody M

Established Member
Sounds like a cracked or leaking IC brick. How much air pressure are you sending through this thing? I believe the stock cap is vented at 15 psi or something. It's not meant to hold 100 psi of air pressure. Sounds like a cracked or leaking IC brick. I would assume if you blew out an O-Ring on the front of the IC, it would still leak into the lower intake.

Time to pull the blower and look if the lower intake is full of fluid.
I didn’t blow too much air in it just a small amount, but yeah the blowers getting taken off to see what the issue is

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure there is no kinks in any of your lines. The intercooler pump is gravity fed. We just went though this with my buddies car. One of his lines had a slight bend in it, just enough to cause issues.

I believe it was the line from the tank to the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody M

Established Member
Make sure there is no kinks in any of your lines. The intercooler pump is gravity fed. We just went though this with my buddies car. One of his lines had a slight bend in it, just enough to cause issues.

I believe it was the line from the tank to the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pulled each line off and have seen fluid going through them all and can also feel it, the line that sends the coolant into the brick is the last place where it goes, soon as it goes into the intercooler brick it stops so there’s 100% something blocking it in there. I’m going to take the blower off here soon and take a look, thankfully it’s still winter lol

Cody M

Established Member
Update for those who are curious. So the shop took the blower off. So the intercooler brick is perfectly fine, heat exchanger is perfect as well, everything is working but what ended up being the issue is, the previous owner who took the car to a shop, one of the shops dropped a plastic cap into one of the hoses and it was blocking the coolant from passing through. It would some times turn a tiny bit and a little coolant would pass through. My shop blew it out with compressed air it and shot across the shop, but coolant is flowing perfectly now. What a circle of trouble shooting I went through just to find out it’s something so stupid lol.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Update for those who are curious. So the shop took the blower off. So the intercooler brick is perfectly fine, heat exchanger is perfect as well, everything is working but what ended up being the issue is, the previous owner who took the car to a shop, one of the shops dropped a plastic cap into one of the hoses and it was blocking the coolant from passing through. It would some times turn a tiny bit and a little coolant would pass through. My shop blew it out with compressed air it and shot across the shop, but coolant is flowing perfectly now. What a circle of trouble shooting I went through just to find out it’s something so stupid lol.

annoying AF but better than having to buy a new brick or something like that (although an excuse to upgrade is always nice)

Cody M

Established Member
annoying AF but better than having to buy a new brick or something like that (although an excuse to upgrade is always nice)
Yes I’m glad I didn’t have to buy a new brick, but I gotta pay the shop for the labor of taking the blower off and putting it back on lol but oh well part of owning a good ol cobra

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Happens a lot more than people think possible. Those little plastic plugs that go into the hose are not always seen when putting things back together and can cause real trouble. I use the bigger ones that fit over the hose or screw into the female end, you can’t put the hose together without removing them. Glad you got that sorted out OP without any damage a no new parts required.

TP03

Established Member
Yes I’m glad I didn’t have to buy a new brick, but I gotta pay the shop for the labor of taking the blower off and putting it back on lol but oh well part of owning a good ol cobra

Next time tackle this yourself. Removing and installing the blower is quite easy. I know it may seem difficult, but there's a bunch of you tube videos out there so you can see what needs to be done before jumping in head first. Get a tool kit from HF and go for it. Instead of paying people to do stuff, that's how I justify buying more tools.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Really dumb question, but is it plumbed correctly? I've never had to do anything special to bleed the intercooler side. Just jump the relay and make sure the tank doesn't go dry when the pump starts sucking coolant.

Of course now that I've said this and my tank is currently off the car I'm going to have issues now.....
I thought I should post that I had no problem bleeding the system when I re-installed the tank. :D

Cody M

Established Member
What was the coolant leaking from the rear of the motor when you pressurized the system?
They didn't see anything leaking from behind. They think it could of been from the radiator system from being either over filled or left over left behind. But it was a bit that came out. Also to mention when they took the blower off there was no coolant in the intake vally thankfully.

Users who are viewing this thread