Blew a Spark Plug through my Head !!

S2-Raw

Established Member
So, I changed my spark plugs last night and noticed Cylinder# 8 (driver side, closest to firewall) had a little oil on the threads of the plug.

I installed the new plug and noticed the oil was lubing the threads so instead of the plug getting snug after 1/4 turn like all the other dry plugs, it was still a little loose as if it need another ¼ turn. I didn't want to over tighten the plug so I left it with just One 1/4 turn even though the threads were lubed from the oil. Huge mistake!!!

The next day the plug popped right out!!! I immediately pulled over and popped the hood. The car was idling but popping and misfiring. I killed the motor and removed Spark plug #8. Sure enough, it was not threaded at all and just sitting there with a NO GAP the plug was slammed shut some how. Possible from bouncing up and down in my cylinder?

I re-gapped the plug and tried to re-install it, then my heart nearly stopped when I discovered, NO THREADS!!!! My plug will not thread back in at all. I shined a flashlight down the hole and only the first couple threads seem to be damaged. For the most part, the other threads do not look bad. I had the car towed to Ford and I'm waiting for them to get back to me on what they recommend.

I have a couple buddy’s with lightnings that blew spark plugs straight out of there hood and needed a new head! This was not as bad due to the fact that only a couple threads are damage but does anyone know if this can be re-threaded? Has anyone else ever been through a similar experience?

00-1.jpg

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Plugs should be torqued to 11-14 ft. lbs, not just a 1/4 turn.

in a situation where there is oil on in the spark plug tubes, a small rag tied to the end of a socket can go a long way to clean everything out.

Now, you might be able to helacoil the head. Depending on how bad it stripped out the threads, you may not need a head replacement.

RED99VASVT

Established Member
Helicoil it and you'll be fine. Raise the piston to the top, put a lot of grease on the Tap when you do the threads to catch the aluminum chips so they don't get into your engine. A vacuum or air nozzle to clean the chips out of the combustion chamber is also good. Place some Lok-tite on the Helicoil threads and let it dry for a while when you install it and some Anti-sieze on the spark plug thread. That will help prevent the Helicoil coming out the next time you change spark plugs.

S2-Raw

Established Member
Just got off the phone with the Dealer. They say Ford won't allow them to heilicoil it or otherwise do a new thread insert because it is unsafe and will come apart as the head heats up and cools down. Basically, they just want $3,400 for a head replacement.

So now it looks like I wasted $120 for an hours labor and still need to tow the car back home. I’m gonna do some searching and see if I can find a reputable shop in the Bay area that can helicoil my head. If anyone lives anywhere near me, please suggest some shops. I’m gonna give Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara a call, see what they recommend and go from there.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
u know when i changed my plugs the few times since my blowers been on that same cylinder 8 had the same problem with some oil down in the head. i clean it out a bit before i put the plug in but shoudl i be doing something else to future plan for any bad things happening.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
I think

bobbystang said:
u know when i changed my plugs the few times since my blowers been on that same cylinder 8 had the same problem with some oil down in the head. i clean it out a bit before i put the plug in but shoudl i be doing something else to future plan for any bad things happening.

I think the key here is to have the plug properly torqued down. Do not guess, use a torque wrench. If you dont' have one, this is a great reason to buy one. I just did mine a few months ago and picked one up just for this job.

S2-Raw: I feel for you man, that sucks bigime. There is another product you can use to do the retap. I will look and see if I can find it and post it. Can't remember it off the top of my head...

*EDIT* This is what you want: http://www.timesert.com/ Call them for the exact kit for your car, I think its the bigsert, not positive. Do a google search, many people have used these with great results. Best of luck to you.

Related: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/ford_spark_plugs.html

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Banned
S2-Raw said:
Just got off the phone with the Dealer. They say Ford won't allow them to heilicoil it or otherwise do a new thread insert because it is unsafe and will come apart as the head heats up and cools down. Basically, they just want $3,400 for a head replacement.

So now it looks like I wasted $120 for an hours labor and still need to tow the car back home. I’m gonna do some searching and see if I can find a reputable shop in the Bay area that can helicoil my head. If anyone lives anywhere near me, please suggest some shops. I’m gonna give Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara a call, see what they recommend and go from there.

Tell them to contact villa ford then and ask them why they did mine for 160$.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
As stated above you DON'T want a helicoil, you want a TIMESERT. I've repaired 3-4 4.6 heads with the TIMESERT's and it's actually stronger after installing them than it is from the factory.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
anothersvtguy said:

WOW! :eek:

That's the kinda shit that'll make your ass pucker up everytime you start your car! I'd heard about this problem on the L but I didn't know it was a wide spread issue. I've not heard of this happening on Terminators though?

Good luck to the thread starter getting this fixed! I think it's pretty shady that they want to charge you $3400 for a new head when it's pretty much a known issue . . . or is that "lucrative"!

Some times you almost wonder wtf was going on at Ford QC when they were building these vehicles?!

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I do not know what this coil or timesert stuff is, anyoen have a link?

Anyways, why couldnt you drill out the hole to a certain size and tap it, then machine a piece that will fit in that hole and thread it, put it in so it pulgs the hole.

Then drill it out, it spec and tap it and then the spareplug will go in.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
man the more i learn about the engineering that went into the ford vehicles....mainly the high performance division, the more dissapointed/concerned i get. Seems like there is a lot of aspects on our cars that are simply accidents waiting to happen and we are living on luck with fingers crossed hoping it doesnt happen.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
srl135 said:
man the more i learn about the engineering that went into the ford vehicles....mainly the high performance division, the more dissapointed/concerned i get. Seems like there is a lot of aspects on our cars that are simply accidents waiting to happen and we are living on luck with fingers crossed hoping it doesnt happen.

Amen!

Users who are viewing this thread