Blew Engine? Need guidence with replacing/fixing at lowest cost....

90vertgt

Established Member
Was speeding at 120 mph....heared a lot bang....black smoke covered the road...then white smoke came out......So I pulled over...called two truck....

Turned it on recently..it stayed on for a couple seconds before turning off.
There's a lot of banging going on inside of the block.

My mechanic is gonna start tearing it down today.

So what route should I take? Should I but a rebuild kit? or a used engine out of a Navigator?

I need to keep costs down.....:cryying:

Any input, suggestions is needed...Please and Thank you.

90vertgt

Established Member
Also it's a 2001 with 90k miles.....

Just got of the phone iwth my mechanic...mentioned he can get me a used Navagator engine for $1500.00

I really dont want to go the used route....

Can you recommend something else? thanx

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If you're going to continue using cheap as a mantra then buy a used engine and sell the truck. There's only one way to do it right and it's by no means cheap. Good luck with it.

FordBoIE

Orgasm_donor
Established Member
I got a stock shortblock, with heads and cams forsale got 20k miles on them. I went built so its just good spares. you would need to use your rockers/timing chain&cover valve covers, cam gears, etc. Let me know, we'll see what we can do about shipping and what not.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I would never buy a used motor off the e-web. especially for a forced induction application :nono:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Thats an E150 van engine.

I just don't see why you would go through all of the expense of an engine replacement and more than likely end up blowing up the replacement engine.

Last edited:

90vertgt

Established Member
If you're dead set on a stock replacement then look here: www.karkraft.com

You should also talk to the Ford SVT Partss guys (link at the top of this forum) for a price on NEW stuff.

thanx for you input guys......

I dont want to go back to stock.....but my budget is none....

How much is a aftermarket engine going for?

where do I shop?

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
thanx for you input guys......

I dont want to go back to stock.....but my budget is none....

How much is a aftermarket engine going for?

where do I shop?

First, a expy or navigator motor is going tohave the wrong Compression ratio.. 9:1 compared to 8.4:1 (lightning)... so if anything look for a used LOW MILES lightning motor...

thats if your trying to keep it cheap..

i got my 03 longblock for $1900 from PSP... it had 13K miles on it, and the owner went built and had Sal sell the motor and apply the cash to the bill.

Motor is great, i have upgraded the heads and have some supporting mods for my HP level... but a built motor is $3K+ MINIMUM... unless you can do the assembly...

which is why i opted for a stock replacement with some new heads...

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
If you're going to continue using cheap as a mantra then buy a used engine and sell the truck. There's only one way to do it right and it's by no means cheap. Good luck with it.

Read this. Live this. Believe this.

It doesn't matter why, or what your financial situation is, if you go cheap, your truck will never be right, be fast, be reliable, or run the way a Lightning should. Then you'll get ticked off, tired of it, and probably sell it or trade it in. Then some poor sap who knows nothing about L's will end up with it and wonder why Ford made such a crappy truck, trying to figure out why his brand-new-to-him Lightning is a dog, doesn't respond as well to mods he's being told it should, by the various forums he posts on, then gets pissed when his engine gives up the ghost.

Do it the right way the first time. Because if you don't, and you DO stick with the truck, you'll definitely do it right the second time!

I got a killer deal on a WMS stage 4 long block that I'll be stuffing in my bay sometime in December.

Stewart

Last edited:

90vertgt

Established Member
That will give you a lot of time to research things so you'll know what to look for when it goes back together and prevent another mishap.

yeah....plus it's getting cold and I will not drive this over the winter....

Simply dumb question....

Why dont I ever hear about this happening to anyone else......

If I knew it was gonna blow out from laying into it for about a minute...I would have never done it.....
:fm:

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
ahh man sorry to hear this.......its has been cold around here lately........it was lean im sure. this is why i got a FAT tune from amazon.

a real good local place is D.S.S

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
Simply dumb question....

Why dont I ever hear about this happening to anyone else......

If I knew it was gonna blow out from laying into it for about a minute...I would have never done it.....
:fm:

it happens alot........there is local guy on here rem177 i think he lives in cary.
blew his motor earlier this summer.......havent seen him lately

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Happens all too often, whether stock or not, there are steps you can take to help keep an eye on things but it only takes a few seconds to ruin an entire engine.

Users who are viewing this thread