Blew motor

Ironhand

Banned
A J&S would've saved that motor. It would've detected the detonation and yanked timing out before catastrophic damage occurred.

Blackmax

Established Member
So far the spread on the new motor is from 7-12 g's for the motor, heads rebuilt with new cams and heads installed using my timing gears etc. There are a couple of quotes in the 10's but that is still 3 more. Tough decision .

cjgt500

Established Member
Not to push, but to get back on track...

If I understand, the theory is that the car went without fuel for a fraction of a second and as a result the cylinder temperatures got to the point of melting the plugs? I really don't understand this. Without fuel it just pushes air and it should not see a temperature spike. It would create a temperature delta between cylinders, but not at a higher temperature than combustion. Somebody please educate me.

It would not run completly out of fuel right away but many RPM's later. It is those RPM's where the lean condition occurs that does all the damage. On the '10+ the engine most likely would have survived as having the factory wideband the PCM would have pulled crazy amount of timing to avoid detonation from the lean condition then would pull spark altogether. As Ironhand said the J&S unit sounds like it does the same for 07-09 models. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

wildwill532

Established Member
who all have have you had quotes from? sure it doesn't include removal and install of your engine right? I'm 26 with a home and single car payment. There's no way I could produce 8-13k plus unknown expenses. I'd need 3-4 credit cards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Blackmax

Established Member
who all have have you had quotes from? sure it doesn't include removal and install of your engine right? I'm 26 with a home and single car payment. There's no way I could produce 8-13k plus unknown expenses. I'd need 3-4 credit cards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

At your age I wouldn't have dreamed of driving an expensive vehicle like this. I saved my pennies to pay off the house while busting my ass in construction. Now in my mid fifties I can afford a car like this .

jenkins_1120

Established Member
i cant wait to see who you go with for you motor. what have you thought about doing with your fuel system? thanks for the tips on the 9" install, i wouldve over looked a few parts. you ever thought about running a fays watts link in the rea?. i emailed him today and he said it would work.

i get my 9" in the next few days then my kb a littler later in the summer. so hopefully mine will hold up for awhile think im going to get it tuned on 18 then just switch to the 15lb pulley when it gets colder.

Blackmax

Established Member
i cant wait to see who you go with for you motor. what have you thought about doing with your fuel system? thanks for the tips on the 9" install, i wouldve over looked a few parts. you ever thought about running a fays watts link in the rea?. i emailed him today and he said it would work.

i get my 9" in the next few days then my kb a littler later in the summer. so hopefully mine will hold up for awhile think im going to get it tuned on 18 then just switch to the 15lb pulley when it gets colder.

I believe the Watts Link is a roadrace item? I only drag race. As far as the motor goes I'm not sure what I will do as there is such a spread between quotes I need to do some homework to figure out why. I would hate to pay an extra 3 grand for a motor just because of the name of the shop.

DMotorsports

Established Member
There are guys on here that have had good experiences with both MMR and L&M. Both of these companies obviously have tons of experience building modular engines. However, I would give a lot of thought to using a local builder if you can find a reputable one. It's nice having the engine shop close by on down the road for trouble shooting future problems or for future tear downs. As we all know, if you're racing things are eventually going to break or at least need a refresh. And just because a builder isn't commonly mentioned on these boards doesn't mean that they can't build a good modular engine, especially the shortblock. There's nothing mysterious about the bottom end on these engines. The valvetrain setup is where it can get tricky, but that isn't exactly rocket science either. Thebull has had his engines built by a local builder, and we've all seen what he's been able to accomplish.

Whatever you choose, just go with someone that you feel is giving you a fair deal, and is willing to build what you want (not what they want to build for you). Happy hunting.

Blackmax

Established Member
I called Ford Racing to see what they offer and that was an interesting conversation. They tranfered me a couple of times and I spoke to a guy that claimed the Cobra Jet block was a stock block with the same crank etc. in it. He gave me a price of $3700 for a Cobra Jet shortblock. And its on backorder untill end of August and with that price you can see why.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
the CJ uses a different crank the the standard 5.4L motor. There is (was) a specific part number, it uses a deeper crank bolt, I used one on my rebuild at L&M (first one L&M did with a CJ crank)

Blackmax

Established Member
the CJ uses a different crank the the standard 5.4L motor. There is (was) a specific part number, it uses a deeper crank bolt, I used one on my rebuild at L&M (first one L&M did with a CJ crank)

I know, I just called for the second time and got Ford Racing performance parts and the guy was clueless. I'm calling 1-800-788 Ford but seems impossible these guys don't know about the crank etc.? Does anyone know who builds or built the Cobra Jet motors?

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Do the 11 and 12 gt500 use the cj crank?. I had to use my stock crank bolt with my lower install because the one that cam with it was shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread