blower cams

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
whats a good blower cam for a 4valve 01 cobra. Car is vortech supercharged. im building an mmr 900 block. i bought a set of 03 cobra heads (which are being ported) and figured while everythings apart i might as well upgrade. i dont want a non street-able cam cuz this car is a street car. im just looking to pick up some extra power

Roll Race Rob

Established Member
'best' blower cams are subjective as the power is determined via lift/duration. crower makes a good, quality blower cam.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
IF you want the "best", call one of the camshaft manufacturers, or a quality shop and have them spec a set for you.

White04GT

Established Member
I don't know about the mph kb cams. I have a built engine with the Trickflow 2v heads mph kb cams and a KB 2.6 and the cams have toomuch overlap that is causing the car to pop. ALOT. This summer when I do some fuel upgrades my tuner is swapping them out with a different cam for free(tim would not tell him the specs). I don't know if it has something to do with the new design of the trickflow heads and cam combination, but it sucks!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
IF you want the "best", call one of the camshaft manufacturers, or a quality shop and have them spec a set for you.

If you want the best then yes what he said!! Modular Powerhouse is a quality shop.

'best' blower cams are subjective as the power is determined via lift/duration. crower makes a good, quality blower cam.

All true. Is this mostly a street car OP? Your stock cams in 03 heads is an up grade worth about 15rwhp. People have made 800+rwhp using the stock cams from 96-98 Cobra's(99-01 Cobra cams are nearly identical, 4 dregrees less duration on intake cams, exhaust are the same 96-04), so you certainly don't "need" cams even if you want big power, even with a supercharged application. The nice thing about the stockers is the drivability vs a set of lopey cams. If its the sound that you are looking for than ok I suppose but not the reason to go for cams IMO.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I don't know about the mph kb cams. I have a built engine with the Trickflow 2v heads mph kb cams and a KB 2.6 and the cams have toomuch overlap that is causing the car to pop. ALOT. This summer when I do some fuel upgrades my tuner is swapping them out with a different cam for free(tim would not tell him the specs). I don't know if it has something to do with the new design of the trickflow heads and cam combination, but it sucks!

Those Trickflow 2v heads are sick!!! Nice numbers BTW, especially with 15#, goes to show how great those heads perform. Not knowing cam specs would really bother me.

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
All true. Is this mostly a street car OP? Your stock cams in 03 heads is an up grade worth about 15rwhp. People have made 800+rwhp using the stock cams from 96-98 Cobra's(99-01 Cobra cams are nearly identical, 4 dregrees less duration on intake cams, exhaust are the same 96-04), so you certainly don't "need" cams even if you want big power, even with a supercharged application. The nice thing about the stockers is the drivability vs a set of lopey cams. If its the sound that you are looking for than ok I suppose but not the reason to go for cams IMO.

yes its a street car. Not Really looking for sound just for power. Yeah the heads i just bought included the 03 cams. If thats the case ill just take the cams outa my cobra and use them.

thanks for the info guys

flak

Established Member

Cam's have a 115 centerline. The overlap is far from to much. What are your fuel trims showing from back to bank?
Sounds like the cam's could be out from siude to side. I am just guessing here, only way to know for sure is to see a datalog of STFT and LTFT's. I have also seen this from not enough spark advance for the burn rate of the cylinder head.
I have alot of KB cars running those cam's, not to mention one that made 919rwhp.
You can call me if you need to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread