Blower cooling upgrade questions

Ahonk3honks

Established Member
Hey y'all

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death buuuuut I'm new to top mount blowers and I have a couple quick questions.

Basically, I have a 2.1 Kenne bell Mach 1 without an intercooler. I'm going to piece together an intercooler setup but I want to get a few things set straight prior. The car won't make over 500 most likely and power really isn't the goal. I really just want an efficient setup that won't heat soak tremendously after 2 pulls as we do a lot of street action. Not really wanting to do meth or e85. I'm simple and I feel the more variables you ad, the bigger the chance of something happening will be.

So, with that said, I would like to know what should be replaced (upgraded) from a factory terminator cooling system with something aftermarket. And for my goals what would be recommended?

Also, side question. Can I route the intercooler hoses in any fasion I feel necessary?

Thanks!

Ahonk3honks

Established Member
No E85 or meth. Chiller killer is your answer. Or a large water tank in the back with ice

Awesome. How exactly does the killer chiller work? Does it just cool the coolant in the system with refrigerant from the AC system?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
It runs the a/c in and out of a distribution block. Then the I/c coolant goes through the same block at the same time, making it nice and cool.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that the 2.1 that used to be sold for the 01 Cobras? Or did you piece your own system together?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I thought those were already intercooler? Or was it an option?

The biggest issues I see are the intercooler actually bolting to the bottom of the blower and being able to hook up the manifold to the lower intake.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Ahonk3honks

Established Member
I thought those were already intercooler? Or was it an option?

The biggest issues I see are the intercooler actually bolting to the bottom of the blower and being able to hook up the manifold to the lower intake.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk
They had an Intercooled option. I called Kenne bell to buy the kit separate but they no longer carry it. They told me termi stuff works just fine.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I'm using all stock terminator stuff, with the addition of a reische 170° thermostat and adjusted fan settings. My air charge temps with the stock pulley have been excellent even in the Texas heat. Usually about 20-30° above ambient in the city with lots of stopping. The highway cruising is even less than that. After a pull to say 120ish, the air charge temp will go up about 5° and then comes right back down in just seconds. Essentially zero heat soak. But I wouldn't suggest doing repetitive high speed pulls back to back with the stock pistons. That's just asking to get a piston hot and to expand.

Ahonk3honks

Established Member
I'm using all stock terminator stuff, with the addition of a reische 170° thermostat and adjusted fan settings. My air charge temps with the stock pulley have been excellent even in the Texas heat. Usually about 20-30° above ambient in the city with lots of stopping. The highway cruising is even less than that. After a pull to say 120ish, the air charge temp will go up about 5° and then comes right back down in just seconds. Essentially zero heat soak. But I wouldn't suggest doing repetitive high speed pulls back to back with the stock pistons. That's just asking to get a piston hot and to expand.
This is good info. It's a built engine so hopefully all should be good. Hopefully with a larger heat exchanger and a better pump, the temps should be good. I never rip on it during the day either. So temps will usually be cool and in the 60s/70s

01yellercobra

Established Member
They had an Intercooled option. I called Kenne bell to buy the kit separate but they no longer carry it. They told me termi stuff works just fine.

Check the front of your lower intake. If it's set up for the manifold for the intercooler hoses I'd imagine you're good. I think there's an aftermarket one that uses bigger lines. Which would be a good way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread