Blower on the Ford GT

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Blower on the Ford GT (pics added)

I understand that it is a twin screw (Whipple) but why does it look like an EATON?? I saw one today here at the track (Hockenheim) and it overheated and spit out coolant like an 03 Cobras when the cooling system gets hot........why?? I was at the gas station as he re-filled the coolant tank and I had the 03 there and snapped a few pics. But later as we left I thought dam....... I have seen that before from an 03 Cobra on a road course. Well I will trade my car for that anyday even if it came with a 4 cylinder. That car looks great!!!! BAD A$$

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
because the whipple and eaton are the exact same things. exactly, except for the name print on the side. now im not sure if this ones labeled whipple or eaton but whipple is supposed to supply the aftermarket and eaton is supposed to supply the OEM. lysholm is the company that makes them while eaton and whipple just market them. autorotor manufactures the twinscrews for kenne bell and both autorotor and lysholm are owned by the opcon group which is based in sweden if i remember right.

now i hope your not mistaking the GTs twinscrew for a cobras roots type are you?

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
because the whipple and eaton are the exact same things. exactly, except for the name print on the side. now im not sure if this ones labeled whipple or eaton but whipple is supposed to supply the aftermarket and eaton is supposed to supply the OEM. lysholm is the company that makes them while eaton and whipple just market them. autorotor manufactures the twinscrews for kenne bell and both autorotor and lysholm are owned by the opcon group which is based in sweden if i remember right.

now i hope your not mistaking the GTs twinscrew for a cobras roots type are you?

No, I meant that the Whipple for the 03 Cobras are not only black which is no big deal but appeared to have a different snout and exterior case was a little different - also no big deal. But I am pretty sure that it is a twin-screw design on the FORD GT. But the big deal is that my understanding is that issues with getting hot and overheating are less likely with a Whipple or other twin screw designs. I guess they can get really hot also. What blower is actually on the Ford GT? I thought it was a Whipple/Ford Racing blower.

Ray

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Anyone know exactly??

http://forums.mightymustangs.net/in...lery&cmd=user&user=73&op=view_album&album=297

See a few pics also with the 03 and the GT. Both cars are away from their homeland here in Europe as an IMPORT. But tanking at a Shell gas station is familiar grounds at least.

Also feel free to check out the mighty mustang website. Most of the members are here in Europe and many of us are are service members, Gov civilians, and EU nationals (hard core Germans with Stangs included). We have a few fast cars over here.

www.mightymustangs.net

Last edited:

jfranci3

Established Member
The Ford GT uses the same style blower as MB AMG cars. Note their blowers look like the Eatons too. What you're thinking is that aftermarket cases are square and boxy, while the GT"s is formed. THis is just a cost issue on the aftermarket comany's part.

satx

Banned
the GT has a twin screw blower as opposed to a roots blower like the 03 cobra. Hope this clear it up for u.

ModFever

Window Shopper
Established Member
It's all about the internals. You can't look at the case and determine whether or not it's a roots or a twin screw. So yes, they will appear to be very similar.

natedog_1959

Established Member
Eaton designed the housing and front cover subassembly and Lysholm designed the rotating group. Eaton actually purchased a good size stake in Lysholm a year or two before the GT was designed. I think they are going to sell their stake pretty soon though because the market for screw compressors is running out and Eaton has some tricks up its sleeve that will make then obsolete eventually. Nate.

mork678

Established Member
whipple/eaton

well then since GT has a whiple that looks like an eaton, then i'd get the GT blower then my cobra looks like a normal cobra with twin-screw and morepower and it will be my sleeper

mork678

Established Member
whipple/eaton blower

Where can you buy a Whipple charger that looks like the Eaton like on the Ford GT? then my cobra will be a Twin-screw instead of the roots and become a sleeper!!

stangfreak

Established Member
you better be pushin some serious boost on that twinscrew, dont be surprised if a eaton cobra will be all over you lol

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
No confusion

Ry_Trapp0 said:

THE question is why did the mighty FORD GT overheat after a few laps. I thought the twin screw blowers ran much cooler than the HEATONS. I was surprised to see it overheat just the same as many 03 COBRAS without extra cooling mods. This cars costs much more and it wasn't so hot and he was not pushing the car really hard.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Fastlane Cobra said:
THE question is why did the mighty FORD GT overheat after a few laps. I thought the twin screw blowers ran much cooler than the HEATONS. I was surprised to see it overheat just the same as many 03 COBRAS without extra cooling mods. This cars costs much more and it wasn't so hot and he was not pushing the car really hard.

Twin screw just reduce heat, but friction still occurs and lots of heat is generated. Te blower takes 100hp to run at WOT, so the engine is really making 650 hp worth of heat, but is only putting out 550hp. If you were serious about racing a GT, you would not want to run a s/c setup.

stangfreak

Established Member
im lost here. didnt ford build the GT for racing purpose? i cant explain it in words what i want to say lol. i dont know what your tryin to say gtspartan

i dont think the car over heated bc of the blower man. that just doesnt make sense to me. they dont just build these cars and sell em they have to go through major tests.

the reduced heat from the twinscrews is bs. my kenne bell made more heat than a over spun eaton. and i had the 2.4 running 17lbs!!! which is retard safe and shouldnt even produce anywhere near as much heat as a overspun eaton.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
stangfreak said:
im lost here. didnt ford build the GT for racing purpose? i cant explain it in words what i want to say lol. i dont know what your tryin to say gtspartan

i dont think the car over heated bc of the blower man. that just doesnt make sense to me. they dont just build these cars and sell em they have to go through major tests.

the reduced heat from the twinscrews is bs. my kenne bell made more heat than a over spun eaton. and i had the 2.4 running 17lbs!!! which is retard safe and shouldnt even produce anywhere near as much heat as a overspun eaton.

It was not meant for racing, it was a way for Ford to built a halo car to breath new life into the company. Look at pretty much every other production sports car out there that also competes in road racing, or endurance racing. They are either n/a or turboed. That is done for a reason. This issue has been beaten to death, but facts are facts, s/c are not the ideal choice for any type of endurance racing. They simply create way too much heat and take lots of power to run.

If you want to run forced induction, atleast run turbo. They create more power at less boost, don't have near the heat issues a s/c has, and are not a drain on the motor to run. S/c is good for drag racing because you can ice them down between runs, which only last a few seconds anyway.

If Ford would have been serious about factory racing the GT, they would have never put a s/c setup on the motor. Look at ALMS, Grand-Am, etc. No competitive teams ever run s/c.

I am in no way slamming the GT, it was just not developed to race.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread