Blower Shaft Threads Screwed

cgg074

Established Member
Hi guys,

Yesterday, during my unsuccessful 2.80 pulley install I messed up the first 2-3 threads inside the blower snout when taking out the stock pulley. So now I can't thread the install tool on to the snout to get the new pulley on. I went to Pep Boys and bought a tap kit but there isn't the same exact thread size on the kit. I tried to use the most similar but couldn't get a tap to bite.

I've read that some people just grinded the damaged threads and were good to go. Other bought a tap from Sears.
Can someone tell me the Sears tap part number? Or what kind of grinder should I use?

I don’t want to have to take the blower or snout off, just for this. I would drive it to a machine shop but I have no idea how long I can drive with out an alternator.

Thanks for helping a desperate fellow cobra owner!!

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
cgg074 said:
Hi guys,

Yesterday, during my unsuccessful 2.80 pulley install I messed up the first 2-3 threads inside the blower snout when taking out the stock pulley. So now I can't thread the install tool on to the snout to get the new pulley on. I went to Pep Boys and bought a tap kit but there isn't the same exact thread size on the kit. I tried to use the most similar but couldn't get a tap to bite.

I've read that some people just grinded the damaged threads and were good to go. Other bought a tap from Sears.
Can someone tell me the Sears tap part number? Or what kind of grinder should I use?

I don’t want to have to take the blower or snout off, just for this. I would drive it to a machine shop but I have no idea how long I can drive with out an alternator.

Thanks for helping a desperate fellow cobra owner!!

Same thing happenend to me , nice of the pully puller to have came with instructions, (the washer fell off in shipping and the pin ruined the first three threads). I strongly suggest you drive it to a machine shop and let them deal with it, they will have much better skills and tools than you can buy at sears. I tried to tap it and had the same problem you did, the tap would not bite. I drove it about 10 miles to a machine shop with a buddy following me, with no problem, I shut it off at stop lights and tried costing with the engine off on long stairaways, but I probably would have been good just driving. It did end up costing me 75$ but it was worth that to not have to pull the blower or buy a new snout. I really whis my Billet Flow puller would have came with instructions. have no fear get it to a ,machine shop t'll be good as new, there is alot of thread in there.

cgg074

Established Member
1 bad bullitt,

Did the machine shop remove the blower snout to fix the threads? I don't want to take it off just for this.

Last edited:

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
Same thing here also. My company had a real good set of METRIC taps. I took the blower bolt and sized it to the tap and die. It was an odd size, wish I remembered what exact size it is, I do know it was metric. After running the tap in a little, backed it out, and the bolt went right in.Good Luck

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
dougwg said:
instruction are here:
http://www.billetflow.com/supercharger_pulleys.htm

Nice big, bold letters!
"Make sure you use the provided washer. " :shrug:

HUNDREDS of people use my pulley puller without issues
a few had problems

I doubt better/included instructions would have helped those few... sorry

Written instructions included with the puller would have been invaluable, yeah you may have instructions on your site, but that did me absolutely no good unless I have a laptop handy with a wireless connection, just take a little constructive critisism and stop trying to defend why you dont include instructions and include some. Why do you always have to be right, I cant believe you are arguing for not including instrctions with you product.

03yellow

Established Member
Yep my threads were bad. I took the bolt form the pulley installer to an auto parts store and got the correct tap.

I strongly suggest that anyone doing a pulley change try to thread the puller screw into the blower shaft first;hence,if you need to retap the shaft you would have the stock pulley in place to help hold the shaft while you were tapping the threads.

I was able to retap the threads using vice grips, and a cloth on the shaft. I would use the tap for a few turns ,back it out, clean the threads with wd40, and thread in again a few turns until I hit the good threads!

Last edited:

Wiked03

Established Member
Dana said:
I believe the thread size is:
8mm x 1.25

Dana

Yep, I second that.

I did the same thing when I installed my pulley. :(

I could not find the right metric tap at sears, ended up getting it at the local Ace hardware.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
My pulley came off and went on as easy as butter. Easiest mod I have done to date besides the CAI.

FullSize03

Established Member
Blower snout

The puller that I used snapped in the shaft. Take the blower off and have it ported. Stiegmeirer fixed the snout shaft for me free of charge with the port.

cgg074

Established Member
WE DID IT!!! WE DID IT!!!

It came out GREAT!!!!

Thanks to all of you guys!!

It was the 8mm x 1.25 tap.

It wasn't that hard, but we did it very cautious, so it took a couple of hours to get it done (fix the threads, install new pulley, auxiliary idler and new belt).

Users who are viewing this thread