Blowfish Racing shifter brace/bracket

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, So I wanted to hear or see if anyone on this forum has used the blowfish racing bracket. I have already modified my stock shifter with a hurst short stick and the shifter bushings from Van. so I figured I might as well continue to modify my stock shifter. I don't have a problem buying the parts. I would just like to see if anyone else has had success with it or has any good input on it.
https://www.blowfishracing.com/driv...gt500-mustang-tr6060-shifter-support-kit.html

Bad Company

Established Member
I've been wanting one of these to go with my Barton shifter. I really think that would be an excellent combo

Snoopy49

Established Member
It looks like the rear shifter mount is designed for the stock shifter. Do they offer Barton, MGW and other brand compatibility?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It looks like the rear shifter mount is designed for the stock shifter. Do they offer Barton, MGW and other brand compatibility?

I believe its designed to work with the stock shifter. That's why I'm interested. But for how much it cost I could basically buy a MGW gen 2 shifter, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Don't waste your time. Get a Gen2 MGW and have the best shift mechanism available.

1st usa car

Established Member
I don't get it --- why consider something like this --$350 !?!? There are 1 or 2 great shifter companies that make something far better.

Just because u already spent some $$ improving a stock shifter doesn't mean you are committed to put more money on a stock shifter for more improvement--

Very odd thinking from a person w/ 2013 Shelby 3.6KB..etc etc. high end mods --

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Fair enough everyone. I just figured I would ask if anyone had a great experience with this product.

Bad Company

Established Member
Here is my take on this design.

1) it removes the deflection of the shifter as the transmission and engine twist in the car because of engine torque.

2) once you add a big SC to the engine, most of the time you have to lower the engine a 1/2" to 3/4" for hood to SC clearance depending on the hood you install. This changes the angle of the transmission in relationship to the shifter. As the rear of the shifter is mounted to a fixed point in the transmission tunnel of the body of the car.

3) if you're real serious about driveline angles and want to retain them after lowering the engine. You will also purchase a transmission crossmember or transmission mount to drop the transmission an equal amount to keep the driveline angles correct. Yet again further altering the shifter angles with the rear of the shifter mounted to the body of the car.

4)if you really want to drop the engine and transmission to retain the stock hood with a big SC, by using a K-Member lowering kit. This shifter mount again will retain stock angles for the shifter and facilitate easier shifts versus leaving the rear mount attached to the car.

Purchase this mounting system and the shifter linkage angles are retained as the factory intended, no matter how much you lower the engine and transmission for a big supercharger. Even if you use a non-stock shifter. The link states that there are accessory brackets available for aftermarket shifters.

To me this could solve a few problems with shifter linkage problems in modified cars, but I also believe it will increase NVH in the cabin of the car too

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is my take on this design.

1) it removes the deflection of the shifter as the transmission and engine twist in the car because of engine torque.

2) once you add a big SC to the engine, most of the time you have to lower the engine a 1/2" to 3/4" for hood to SC clearance depending on the hood you install. This changes the angle of the transmission in relationship to the shifter. As the rear of the shifter is mounted to a fixed point in the transmission tunnel of the body of the car.

3) if you're real serious about driveline angles and want to retain them after lowering the engine. You will also purchase a transmission crossmember or transmission mount to drop the transmission an equal amount to keep the driveline angles correct. Yet again further altering the shifter angles with the rear of the shifter mounted to the body of the car.

4)if you really want to drop the engine and transmission to retain the stock hood with a big SC, by using a K-Member lowering kit. This shifter mount again will retain stock angles for the shifter and facilitate easier shifts versus leaving the rear mount attached to the car.

Purchase this mounting system and the shifter linkage angles are retained as the factory intended, no matter how much you lower the engine and transmission for a big supercharger. Even if you use a non-stock shifter. The link states that there are accessory brackets available for aftermarket shifters.

To me this could solve a few problems with shifter linkage problems in modified cars, but I also believe it will increase NVH in the cabin of the car too

Thanks for that input BC, Like I was trying to say, I know the MGW Gen 2 shifter is the best shifter out there, But I guess I like the design and wanted to try it. Im going to call them directly

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It wouldn't matter if God himself prevented the shifter from deflecting. You are still stuck with the sphere/race pivot and pendulum design. The MGW uses a trunion along with a single axis, true bolt-action lower rod design. No other shifter company or "bracket" supplier can hold a candle to it.

Your GT500 deserves nothing less than the best.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It wouldn't matter if God himself prevented the shifter from deflecting. You are still stuck with the sphere/race pivot and pendulum design. The MGW uses a trunion along with a single axis, true bolt-action lower rod design. No other shifter company or "bracket" supplier can hold a candle to it.

Your GT500 deserves nothing less than the best.

I agree Tob and that's why I started this thread. I didn't want to spend the money and be pissed I made the wrong decision.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have tried most of the name brand shifters out there on the market; Shelby / Drake, Barton, MGW Gen 1 and Gen 2. The MGW Gen 2 is absolutely the best shifter that has ever been made available for this body / transmission set up. HOWEVER, I can see how adding the MGW Gen 2 to this bracket system could go a little further toward making this a more predictable set up. My Gen 2 is far better than any other shifter I've ever tried and is an absolute work of art. I still do have a very hard time shifting into 2nd gear under hard acceleration though. I never had the regular or spirited driving grind from 1 to 2, but I've always had a difficult time shifting this car on the 1-2 under hard acceleration and power shifting is nearly impossible. I would usually chalk it up to driver error, but I've been drag racing Mustangs for dam long time, I've had some pretty fast 5 and 6 speed Mustangs and I've NEVER had an issue power shifting any of them like this car.
Since my problem only rears its head under hard racing type shifts, I usually chalk it up to an alignment issue under power caused by the shifter being mounted to the body. I'm no physicist though, so this is obviously all just conjecture. I could just be a bad wheel man...?

Cman01

hello
Established Member
So other than BC has anyone else installed the Blowfish bracket on your GT500 and did it get rid of the grind/lockout on your shifting?

Tony

jazz

Established Member
For me wotbox worked well with the stock shifter, recently got mgw and is definitely worth it in my opinion, 1-2 way better now. I was also debating between the mgw and blowfish racing bracket, there werent enough reviews for it...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Keep in mind if your trans has been beat on, you may need to bite the bullet and get your trans rebuilt with upgraded Tremec Hybrid synchro rings for gears 1-4.

Users who are viewing this thread