Blowfish shifter bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufferfish

Established Member
ok, i have missed a lot of conversation. i don't have the time to go through it all, so if i miss some points, please don't crucify me.

its not a cantilever because of the arm going back to the trans...which makes it triangulated. yes, that mount retains its flexible bushing, but testing showed there was no significant improvement in going solid. and, as pointed out, the removal and replacement about triples the install time. i went and looked at the bolts and i was mistaken and going off memory. i got more than that wrong from my memory. the M12 10.9 THREAD is 50kN...woops! an M12 8.8 bolt is 57kN on the shank. bolts are not going to shear. the lower bracket is WAAAYYY over built with dual gussets and using 1/4" thick steel. at that point, the upper mount arm bushing could be made of bubble gum without deflection! i am tempted to come up with a rig to hold a spare trans (i just happened to have picked one up over the weekend!), put the bracket assembly on and rock crawl my expedition over the end of the bracket. not really though, because then all the "lightweight" people come out saying its unnecessarily heavy. well, they can pound sand cuz if their front ujoint fails, this herculian bracket is going to spare them from pole vaulting their car!

by the way, aside from vibrational force and whatever you can muster up to hate your shifter, there isn't near enough to make this thing fail, fatigue or even breath heavy.

oh, and when comparing this to the XL, the emphasis shouldn't be placed on the arm bushing, its the bizarre linkage that makes the real difference. there are 3 rubber bushings between what your hand wants to do and what the shift forks actually do.

i may come off too sensitive about my design. its not intentional. i appreciate all the feedback and questions. if there's something i've missed, its an opportunity to fix it. if there's question and i get to prove my engineering capability in a thorough design, thats validation i am doing things right. question everything! don't drink the koolaid!

Angry50

Established Member
ok, i have missed a lot of conversation. i don't have the time to go through it all, so if i miss some points, please don't crucify me.

its not a cantilever because of the arm going back to the trans...which makes it triangulated. yes, that mount retains its flexible bushing, but testing showed there was no significant improvement in going solid. and, as pointed out, the removal and replacement about triples the install time. i went and looked at the bolts and i was mistaken and going off memory. i got more than that wrong from my memory. the M12 10.9 THREAD is 50kN...woops! an M12 8.8 bolt is 57kN on the shank. bolts are not going to shear. the lower bracket is WAAAYYY over built with dual gussets and using 1/4" thick steel. at that point, the upper mount arm bushing could be made of bubble gum without deflection! i am tempted to come up with a rig to hold a spare trans (i just happened to have picked one up over the weekend!), put the bracket assembly on and rock crawl my expedition over the end of the bracket. not really though, because then all the "lightweight" people come out saying its unnecessarily heavy. well, they can pound sand cuz if their front ujoint fails, this herculian bracket is going to spare them from pole vaulting their car!

by the way, aside from vibrational force and whatever you can muster up to hate your shifter, there isn't near enough to make this thing fail, fatigue or even breath heavy.

oh, and when comparing this to the XL, the emphasis shouldn't be placed on the arm bushing, its the bizarre linkage that makes the real difference. there are 3 rubber bushings between what your hand wants to do and what the shift forks actually do.

i may come off too sensitive about my design. its not intentional. i appreciate all the feedback and questions. if there's something i've missed, its an opportunity to fix it. if there's question and i get to prove my engineering capability in a thorough design, thats validation i am doing things right. question everything! don't drink the koolaid!

I say as long as it alleviates the weight shifting issues with turns/high rpm shifting so I can shift into 2nd mid turn daily driving,I am all in!

Coyote5o

Established Member
Hopefully my comments didn't come off as insulting! I already ordered mine and can't wait to get it installed :). I was simply saying vibration would be my only real cause for concern since it's not one of those things you can easily predict without some complex equations or cad software. A simple free body diagram of the design should prove to cancel out any moments/forces on the bracket/shifter assembly.

86Fbody

Established Member
I say as long as it alleviates the weight shifting issues with turns/high rpm shifting so I can shift into 2nd mid turn daily driving,I am all in!

I can completely vouch for this, do it all day everyday now with no vagueness or missing.

solscooter

Established Member
i thought the pre-sale was through august? i was waiting for a brief period before ordering. pricing is at 299

Bullitt 3309

Established Member

so have you tested replacing those with a firmer bushing??? or does the design force the use of the rubber bushing? Great read so far guys, love the tech!

pufferfish

Established Member
Hopefully my comments didn't come off as insulting! I already ordered mine and can't wait to get it installed :). I was simply saying vibration would be my only real cause for concern since it's not one of those things you can easily predict without some complex equations or cad software. A simple free body diagram of the design should prove to cancel out any moments/forces on the bracket/shifter assembly.

no worries. actually the engine and trans mounts have more to do with vibration than the arm bushing. looser and you get more movement in the shifter under varying loads. tighter and you're transmitting drivetrain noise through the floorboards. that said, i am getting ready to test the whiteline insert to see if it will improve or degrade NVH with this kit. i just need my car back together first...a pair of important engine parts getting some love my the livernois folks right now;)

Coyote5o

Established Member
I'm jealous! I have the mgw + whiteline bracket now. Looking forward to the combo of the 3. May try with and without the whiteline mount to see if there's any big changes as well

Regarding the whiteline, if you experience excessive vibration, try cutting the entire center piece off. The nvh was absurd for me before I did that.

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
i thought the pre-sale was through august? i was waiting for a brief period before ordering. pricing is at 299

yeah, i wouldn't have guessed i would have had to say "end of august or when all 200 units of the first batch are sold, whichever comes first". i never expected to sell 200 (well 189, -10 for the beta testers and -1 for me) in 7 days! i am talking to my manufacturer to see if the order can be upped so i have some inventory to sell after the pre-orders are fulfilled.

86Fbody

Established Member
yeah, i wouldn't have guessed i would have had to say "end of august or when all 200 units of the first batch are sold, whichever comes first". i never expected to sell 200 (well 189, -10 for the beta testers and -1 for me) in 7 days! i am talking to my manufacturer to see if the order can be upped so i have some inventory to sell after the pre-orders are fulfilled.
^^^
are they all gone already!?

That's what it sounds like.

86Fbody

Established Member
:nonono: nooo!! so its 299 now and will have to wait till 2nd batch? dang that was quick I hope to see lots of reviews

Gives you time to save, plus you can wait for the plethora of reviews and see if it really is something you need/want. I doubt there is anyone that won't want this however.

solscooter

Established Member

dang!!! ill start saving a few more dollars to get the next batch hopefully

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Gives you time to save, plus you can wait for the plethora of reviews and see if it really is something you need/want. I doubt there is anyone that won't want this however.

And gives time for the seller to get approval to sell here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread