Blowing red light in NY State, NJ license??

ZZYZXXXX

Established Member
Hi Guys,

Friday night I was headed up to my house in Milford, PA for the weekend. I stopped at the Walmart near Woodbury Commons in NY State, to pick up some snacks, water etc. I did not think I would make the Walmart in Milford, PA since I was already running late. Anyway, after leaving the Walmart and making a left onto what I thought was the entrance to 17, I got pulled over. I pulled into the intersection that had a green light, ready to make a left turn but there were cars coming from the opposite direction. The light turned red, so I made my left. Cop pulls me over and asks if I saw the light was red and I tell him, it wasn't when I pulled into the intersection. After about 5-10 minutes he comes back with a ticket, saying I ran through a red light. He tells me I got the summons since I have a NJ license, there will not points on my insurance or on my license. I am not sure if he meant I got the summons because I am not from NY or since I live in NJ, the points will not carry over. I am guessing he meant it somewhat both ways. The ticket has no fine amount printed anywhere on it. My real question is, is he right? I will just pay the $50-$60 as the cop said it would cost and be done with it. However, if it is a point related summons, I would like to try to redice it to just a fine. I have not gotten a moving violating ever. Only tickets I ever got was for no seat belt, a few years back and an overdue inspection ticket like 15 years ago. I was even driving my Dakota 4 door, so it wasn't the Cobra that was drawing his attention. Anyway, does anyone know if the points will show up on my record?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
NY and NJ are both members of the Driver's License Interstate Compact and they report violations to each other. NY is owed the fine, it is up to NJ after receiving the report of the fine as to whether they will assess points or not. That being said NJ will assess a driver a maximum of 2 points per moving violation that occurs in another state.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Violations/penalties_otherStates.htm

Users who are viewing this thread