blown engine mystery - your thoughts?

Damascus Cobra

2003 RedFire Convertible
Established Member
so my brother buys a 1999 isuzu trooper for his 16 year old son. it has the 3.5 V6 with 64,5XX miles and it's super clean. he bought it from a second owner and knows the original owner as well. everything is above board.

before he brings it home, the guy he bought it from takes it to a "just tires" shop for an oil/filter change and tire rotation so it's good-to-go.

it's driven for just 2,700 miles when suddenly it starts making engine noise and the engine oil light comes on. no warning at all prior to this situation - at least none that a new driver detected...

dad instructs the son to immediately pull over and has it towed to a mechanic. guess what -- there is zero oil in the crankcase :uh oh: .

the mechanic indicates that there is not a leak anywhere, the filter is set properly, no indication of burning oil, drain plug secure... where did the oil go?

the mechanic feels that the ONLY explanation is that the "just tires" drained the old oil and replaced the filter and sent him on his way - WITHOUT filling the motor with new oil.

is this possible? i don't believe that a car can be driven for 2,700 miles without any oil in the motor. but i cannot think of any other explanation either!!!

chime in and let me hear your thoughts!

lightning rod

Established Member
blown engine mystery

my wife got a 2004 isuza in 2004,it used two qts of oil ever thousand miles, they put in new engine, it use one qt of every thousand miles now, they are shit cars :mj:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
it would last about 25 miles or so i beleive with no oil..not 2700..maybe someone drained it? im sure it wouldnt be the first time thats happened.

Damascus Cobra

2003 RedFire Convertible
Established Member
Uncle Meat said:
Maybe the previous owner had treated the engine with Slick 50! :thumbsup:

U.M.

are you serious?! i'm looking for any reasonable explanation... keep it coming!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Damascus Cobra said:
are you serious?! i'm looking for any reasonable explanation... keep it coming!
I watched an enine run for 12 hours straight with no oil or water in it before it ceased up. The only thing they had done prior to the ttest was treat it with Slick 50. :shrug:

U.M.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Not real ideas other than the ones stated. I would suggest checking the fliuds on any vehicle you consider purchasing including new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread