Blown head gaskets

still2slo

Established Member
Has anybody else blown a head gasket or had a messed up exhaust gas cooler on a 6.0 with less than 50,000 miles

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
When you say exhaust gas cooler, are you talking about your coolant overflow spewing coolant out all over the motor every time you drive it? Also the fluid level in the bottle only needing to be two inches deep? If that is what you are talking about, then yes.

Fuxton

Established Member
I blew my headgaskets on my 07 with just 1500 miles. I guess i put that programmer in a little to early. lol

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I think I might have an issue brewing with the old Stroker. When I start it up now, no matter what temp, time of day, with and with out the programmer tuned, the truck will not start. And when it finally does, after about 5 minutes of trying, it will shoot out white smoke...alot of hit....for about 10 minutes. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have some pics of it, but they are before it really got bad.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Since it's summer time and I know how hot it is in MD, you wont really need glow plugs to glow in order to get her started good...Any unusual smoke down low or up high in the RPMs while you're on the road?

Im sure you've troubleshot just about everything too... you got a later 6.0 right? So it can't be a recall issue?

Pulled any codes? With or without your programmer's tunes on the computer, maybe something to deal with the injectors, HPOP, or a sensor in there somewhere maybe not doing it's job? Anything with your EGR? Maybe bad fuel?

Just some ideas, I'm no diesel mechanic, and especially no experience with the 6.0s.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
There is no unusual smoke once the truck is warm. But getting the truck to start , idle right, and warm up quickly is the problem.

I have a 2005 6.0L. There have been no recall notices in the mail, so I doubt that it is a recall issue.

I have pulled a few codes while running the chip and without running the chip. I have not been able to identify what the codes are though. Here is the list:
P0263
P0266
P0272
U03260
P2269
I have no idea what they stand for, any help would be great.

I did have the "water in fuel" light pop on a few times. I added a diesel additive, I can't remeber which one. The light went away, but the problem is still there.

Thanks Tauk for the advice. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Maybe change both fuel filters? I know there are two of them on the 6.0s, don't know if you need to change them both out at the same time or what - I do remember two people telling me the drain is on the frame with that filter.

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
The 6.0L are known for this. The best thing to do it order a set of ARP headstuds and must dealers will install them instead of the OEM studs when replaced under warrenty.

Wayne

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Lord Tauk said:
Maybe change both fuel filters? I know there are two of them on the 6.0s, don't know if you need to change them both out at the same time or what - I do remember two people telling me the drain is on the frame with that filter.

Both filters were just changed around 1K miles ago. I guess it couldn't hurt to drain the plug again just to make sure that everything is out. And yes the drain is on the filter that is mounted on the frame under the driver's side door.

gtmustang00

Established Member
there is a tsb for this, it has something to do w/ the programming of the injectors. its suppose to fix it.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
gtmustang00 said:
there is a tsb for this, it has something to do w/ the programming of the injectors. its suppose to fix it.

Im alittle slow with abbrevations, what does tsb stand for?

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Technical Service Bulletin? Just a guess and maybe I've seen it somewhere before that I conjured up from the back pages of my memory.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Now that you said it, Technical Service Bulletin is right, can't believe that one slipped my mind.

I have been asking around and someone said that the EGR pipe (or whatever it is) might be clogged. And this is throwing off my sensors and making my truck idle, start, and run rough. I was thinking about replaceing the piece with an EGR Delet pipe from Elite Diesel and maybe throwing on a stage 1 fuel kit also, just to make sure the engine is getting what it needs.

Z7What