Blown Motor or Something Less Unfortunate?

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I don't know too much about lemon law but is there any clever verbiage in there that a dealership could use as a loophole to get out of any liability? Eg, lemon laws do not apply to cars with aftermarket components. Like I said, I don't know the answer. Just bringing this up as a discussion point. It wouldn't shock me if dealerships had already lobbied years ago to try and limit the scope of their liability.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Was this after Bill tuned it or you didn't get a chance for him to tune it ? Bill would not allow the car to leave unless tuned properly and safely ......if he did tune it the tune would be spot on that you can be assured

I don't believe that car even made it to Bill's yet

08KR525

Established Member
There's no way that car as it sits now would run on a stock tune. I would question why someone would trade a GT500 with that many modifications in at a VW dealership. You know they just looked at book for it and none of the mods were considered. It may have been the original owner knew the engine was having issues and just wanted to unload it. Then when the VW dealer got it who knows how they treated it being that GT500s don't normally appear on their lots. I would be very apprehensive purchasing a performance car this way. At the very least I would have spoke with the person who traded the car in to try to find out what the story is with it. Best of luck OP.

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
UPDATE! - The VW dealership told me they honestly have no idea what they're looking at so they are flatbedding it to their Ford dealer this morning. I went through the lemon law dozens of times last night looking for loopholes on their end and it seems like my position on the situation is much stronger than theirs. I actually have 20 days from time of purchase to return the car minus 15 cents taken off for every mile driven. Also pleaded with them to let me pick the shop where it goes so I know the work is being done right but they denied my request, I know it's at a Ford dealership but I'd rather have a shop like JDM, Pro Edge, or Billet Pro Shop do the motor. Will keep you guys posted on any updates I get

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
Was this after Bill tuned it or you didn't get a chance for him to tune it ? Bill would not allow the car to leave unless tuned properly and safely ......if he did tune it the tune would be spot on that you can be assured

Noooooooooooooo I did not get a chance to bring it to him yet, he tuned my 07 GT/CS and it ran like stock, idled perfectly, was not all jerky, made 500rwhp on his Mustang dyno :rockon: damn I miss that car :(

Last edited:

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
damn. this sounds very unfortunate OP. I hope you can get your money back. buying from a dealer is absolutely in your favor i would think. i wouldnt think twice, act under the lemon law, get your money back, and look for a near stock shelby.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
damn. this sounds very unfortunate OP. I hope you can get your money back. buying from a dealer is absolutely in your favor i would think. i wouldnt think twice, act under the lemon law, get your money back, and look for a near stock shelby.

Don't think that applies here.

Franco

Established Member
My car was heavily modified and it was repaired under the lemon law. NY state covers the car for a different amount of days depending on mileage. OP make sure you beat the dealer up they have no outs it is covered and must be repaired correctly

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
My car was heavily modified and it was repaired under the lemon law. NY state covers the car for a different amount of days depending on mileage. OP make sure you beat the dealer up they have no outs it is covered and must be repaired correctly

So I am correct right? They MUST fix it and with no cost to me at all, correct? Also, does anyone think I am entitled a loaner since they will most likely have the car for a few weeks?

Franco

Established Member
So I am correct right? They MUST fix it and with no cost to me at all, correct? Also, does anyone think I am entitled a loaner since they will most likely have the car for a few weeks?

They have to fix it. You bought it at a dealer and any car sold at a dealer is covered by the lemon law regardless. If you want you can give me a call since I have been through it. I can help you. 516-633-4227

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
If ford is going to repair or replace the short block I would contact them and see if they would work with you and get the ford racing short block that's good up to 900/1000 rwhp. I agree with whomever said the owner probably knew things were going south and dumped it while he could. That blower is def capable of making more power than the stock block can handle. Good Luck, I hate stealerships

nxhappy

Established Member
you probably signed something hidden in the contract. Usually with modified vehicles they cover that under contract. As is where is, no warranty implied. Usually lemon law is for unmodified vehicles. I think it's time for you to lawyer up.....

nxhappy

Established Member
I don't know too much about lemon law but is there any clever verbiage in there that a dealership could use as a loophole to get out of any liability? Eg, lemon laws do not apply to cars with aftermarket components. Like I said, I don't know the answer. Just bringing this up as a discussion point. It wouldn't shock me if dealerships had already lobbied years ago to try and limit the scope of their liability.

exactly.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I would think that a Ford dealer wouldn't touch it. They'd be worried about warranty issues with respect to replacement on a powertrain that violates not only the Clean Air Act but emission laws in the State of New York.

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
If ford is going to repair or replace the short block I would contact them and see if they would work with you and get the ford racing short block that's good up to 900/1000 rwhp. I agree with whomever said the owner probably knew things were going south and dumped it while he could. That blower is def capable of making more power than the stock block can handle. Good Luck, I hate stealerships

That's actually what I'm doing right now, or ask them to take it to JDM since they built it and have a full history of the car...we'll see what happens

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
The more I read it does seem possible the guy was having problems who traded it in. Why else would he give all those mods away when the dealer would give nothing for them. Sounds like you want to keep the car and have it repaired. For me I would want my money back and find something else. Once a car starts to have problems it can be like a snow ball effect.

MysticRob

Established Member
The more I read it does seem possible the guy was having problems who traded it in. Why else would he give all those mods away when the dealer would give nothing for them. Sounds like you want to keep the car and have it repaired. For me I would want my money back and find something else. Once a car starts to have problems it can be like a snow ball effect.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Who trades in a built Shelby? Likely someone who already knows it's on its last legs and just wants to be done with it.

OP, are you sure the VW dealership took it as a trade-in, and didn't just pick it up from auction like most other dealerships? Hopefully you don't get stuck with a jacked up vehicle at your own expense.

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
Exactly what I'm thinking. Who trades in a built Shelby? Likely someone who already knows it's on its last legs and just wants to be done with it.

OP, are you sure the VW dealership took it as a trade-in, and didn't just pick it up from auction like most other dealerships? Hopefully you don't get stuck with a jacked up vehicle at your own expense.

Yes he traded it for a 2016 VW Touareg. I still have time to return it and get my money back which is now one of my options

Users who are viewing this thread