Blue mark on driver side head

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
Hi guys, I have had my '03 Cobra for about a month now and have 900 miles on it. My build date for my car is 1/21/03. Date on my engine is 1/26/03. Are these engines the ones not to "tick". Thanks for your help.

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Yes the blue streak means you have the new head design, which means you shouldn't get the tick.

I have the same thing and no tick.

CWCobra

Established Member
I have a blue streak on the driver's side head. My delivery was June '02.

Don't think it means anything to do with tick...

Later,
CW

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
Originally posted by SaleenCobra
Yes the blue streak means you have the new head design, which means you shouldn't get the tick.

I have the same thing and no tick.

I have a "tick" at idle when the motor is cold. But goes away when the motor is warm. Do you have this also? Thanks

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by SaleenCobra

Please stop perpetuating this rumor. It isn't true. It has nothing to do with the "new" head.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30224&highlight=the+tick

In that thread you will see that people had the blue stripe on cars built as early as July of 2002.

Please I beg you all to stop associating this blue stripe with some new design. It has nothing to do with it.

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
No I don't have anything like that at idle. Guess the new heads don't work so well. :shrug:

GreySnake

Established Member
Sly is quite correct.....they are not related. I have the blue marks, still have tick when warm/hot. :-D

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
Please stop perpetuating this rumor. It isn't true. It has nothing to do with the "new" head.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30224&highlight=the+tick

In that thread you will see that people had the blue stripe on cars built as early as July of 2002.

Please I beg you all to stop associating this blue stripe with some new design. It has nothing to do with it.

Then explain to me why I was told this when I called SVT about it?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Another thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...0&perpage=25&highlight=blue head&pagenumber=2

Research is your friend.

In the thread I posted before you will find someone saying they called SVT and were told the blue stripe has nothing to do with the tick.

Ford also told me that the "tick" was "normal for this motor" and then issued a TSB to fix it. Ford and SVT don't always know what they are talking about. It's a big company. Miscommunication is always possible.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
A little tick here a little tick there

Well I have a Sonic Blue Coupe built 11/26/02, blue stripe on the D/S head, and I can only hear the tick at certain times...I'll hear the "tick, tick, tick" then I'll be listening for it again and I might never hear it for like ten minutes before it does it again and its only for a second or two:shrug: ...Its real intermitent...Some days I drive my car and never hear it...other days I'll hear it when there is any kind of wall or object to reflect the sound towards the car...Whatever, just as long as it doesn't get as bad as what other people describe as shaking a tin-can with marbles inside...

-pete:coolman:

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
I have a white stripe on my driver's side head. Build date of the motor is 11-04-02.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
One thing I forgot to mention was once I changed over to Mobil 1 the ticking, as intermitent as it was, became even more intermitent after the lube change...I believe the verdict is out on the "tick"...I believe I heard the local shop foreman say it is related to restricted oil passageways on the head (BAD CASTINGS) that supply oil to the cam bearing retainers...The D/S head is the last component to receive oil before it is sent back to the filter...So if any lubrication starvation is occuring it would be there...That's why all these cars with the "tick" usually exhibit the sound from the D/S head.

-pete:coolman:

GreySnake

Established Member
Sly is quite correct.....they are not related. I have the blue marks, still have tick when warm/hot. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread