BMR lower control arm install - axle shifted

SVT-COBRA

Established Member
I set the car on jack stands at the pinch welds and supported the axle with a floor jack under the pumpkin. I thought this would have been good enough but I guess I should have supported it by the axle tubes with jack stands. The axle has shifted a little backwards and I can't get the bolt to line up now for the new lower control arm on the passenger side. The stock driver side control arm is still connected. What is the best way to move the axle forward so I can bolt up the new control arm?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
A ratchet strap might help move the axle. I would let the axle hang free as long as the shocks are still attached. You should be able to move it by hand if it's hanging.

SVT-COBRA

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions, but I ended up putting the wheels back on and put the car back down. Put a wheel chock behind that tire and gently applied some pressure in reverse. I figured the weight of the car should move the axle forward. Worked perfectly. Now on to the rest of the installation. Going to support the axle with jack stands this time when I do the other side.

Dinosgt

Established Member
A ratchet strap might help move the axle. I would let the axle hang free as long as the shocks are still attached. You should be able to move it by hand if it's hanging.

I had exactly the same problem when I replaced the rod end boot. Axle moved and it would not budge enough to align the bolt again. Catmonkeys solution is exactly what I did - worked beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread