Boat Owners: "engine water" question

99cobradave

Established Member
Guys,

I just traded in my 1994 GW Invader bowrider for a 2003 Glastron bowrider. It as a 5.7 Volvo Penta GXi I/O. It's fuel injected and has an "engine water" tube/cap in on the engine. It has the obvious engine oil, outdrive fluid, power steering fluids, but what is this "engine water" for? It's a flexible hose with a cap - kinda looks like a dipstick. What the heck is this? For freshwater flushing? I'm not familar with this.

Thanks.

RCMPSVT

Established Member
Guys,

I just traded in my 1994 GW Invader bowrider for a 2003 Glastron bowrider. It as a 5.7 Volvo Penta GXi I/O. It's fuel injected and has an "engine water" tube/cap in on the engine. It has the obvious engine oil, outdrive fluid, power steering fluids, but what is this "engine water" for? It's a flexible hose with a cap - kinda looks like a dipstick. What the heck is this? For freshwater flushing? I'm not familar with this.

Thanks.

pics please

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
sounds to me like you have a closed water cooling system. your outdrive picks up the water from the lake and sends it to a water to water heat exchanger that has a log type interchanger. you should have a resevoir that indicates your capacity and fill level. in a boat application this system acts as a radiator would in a car.

Last edited:

99cobradave

Established Member
sounds to me like you have a closed water cooling system. your outdrive picks up the water from the lake and sends it to a water to water heat exchanger that has a log type interchanger. you should have a resevoir that indicates your capacity and fill level. in a boat application this system acts as a radiator would in a car.

Hmmm. Interesting. How to find out? I didn't get any manual for the boat.

99cobradave

Established Member

Well, I'm not sure. I just checked and this "engine water" hose looks like a garden hose with a brass female end. It has a plastic male screw-in plug. This hose is connected to the larger diameter water hose going to the water circulating pump at the bottom of the engine accessories. And no "log type" heat exchanger. Could this simply be a connection for easy winterizing/flushing?

Thanks for your help.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
Well, I'm not sure. I just checked and this "engine water" hose looks like a garden hose with a brass female end. It has a plastic male screw-in plug. This hose is connected to the larger diameter water hose going to the water circulating pump at the bottom of the engine accessories. And no "log type" heat exchanger. Could this simply be a connection for easy winterizing/flushing?

Thanks for your help.

that is the other possibility as well. sounds like you know what it is now

lowdrag

Established Member
I can't say for sure on that specific type of setup. The boats I've owned have all been tournament inboards. However, what you're describing sounds identical to the water drains for the exhaust manifolds on inboards. They have a length of tubing with garden hose connectors on each end that you disconnect when winterizing to drain the exhaust manifolds. I'm guessing that's what you've got only it drains a different part of the cooling system.

Users who are viewing this thread