Bob's oil separator installed...

iwannacobra5

Established Member
i've had this sitting in the garage for a while, but i finally got it installed this weekend. i pieced together my own fittings and use a stainless steel hose for some added shine under the hood. this thing is a SNUG fit. it should be interesting when i try to drain it for the first time. maybe there's a way to make them a little slimmer, steve? a BIG thanks to erik (e.marquez) for helping me piece together the fittings and hose.

20130421_180242_zps8975510c.jpg

20130421_180236_zpsdad41d72.jpg

20130421_180249_zpsf19d1dde.jpg

iwannacobra5

Established Member
I know what that took. Good work!

thanks...your write up was a big help! i didn't use the back side of the firewall bracket because the bolts were too short. the slot in the back of the bracket was also too small, but it didn't matter since i didn't use it. oh well, it's on good and it's not going anywhere!

br549

Established Member
Mounted mine with the can's hose fittings pointing to the driver side of the car. Made the hoses less intrusive. Bob should make his can's with multiple mounting solutions as to can rotation.

Stri8ed

Killer
Established Member
I recall someone mounting it on/next to the strut tower. It looks clean on the firewall but looks alittle tough to drain. I'll probably still put mine on the firewall and just drain it monthly onto a rag.

Black Sex

Established Member
Looks good like that OP.
As far as drainging goes, if there is a nipple on the petcock you could put some vacuum hose on it long enough to hang down to the bottom of the car, ziptie it to something and leave it one there. Then you slide a pan (or frisbe) under the car and crack it open.
That would make it easier than trying hold a rag or can under there. Plus less chances of spilling. Just a thought

iwannacobra5

Established Member
Looks good like that OP.
As far as drainging goes, if there is a nipple on the petcock you could put some vacuum hose on it long enough to hang down to the bottom of the car, ziptie it to something and leave it one there. Then you slide a pan (or frisbe) under the car and crack it open.
That would make it easier than trying hold a rag or can under there. Plus less chances of spilling. Just a thought

good thought! i figured i'd have to get creative. what's most important is that it catches oil.

Black Sex

Established Member
How do the crips work that hold the hose to the factory quick connectors? They don't look like they are compression like the ends by the can.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
How do the crips work that hold the hose to the factory quick connectors? They don't look like they are compression like the ends by the can.

They are heat shrink hose clamps, much tighter than you would think!

From the site :
"Gates thermoplastic clamp maintains a dynamic tension so that it never needs retightening. Whenever the engine reaches operating temperture, the shrink forces of PowerGrip SB readjust to a consistent clamping force. In addition, its clamping force increases as the temperature drops below 40 degrees F, thereby tightening the connection.

Cold leaks, which normally occur when the temperature drops below 40 degrees F, are eliminated.

Installation using a heat gun is fast and easy, including hard-to-reach places. Heat-gun attachments permit installation in confining areas that would be extremely difficult to reach using a screwdriver on conventional worm-drive screw clamps.

The PowerGrip SB hose clamp features a smooth surface that won't rust, corrode, or result in cut fingers during installation. PowerGrip SB hose clamps are completely resistant to all automotive fluids including oil, antifreeze and even brake fluid.

Wider than conventional clamps, PowerGrip SB hose clamps can be positioned over the raised bead on the end of the fitting nipple - even cast metal.

PowerGrip SB clamps are readily removed with Gates' specially-designed clamp removal tool. The clamps also can be removed using a soldering iron to melt through the thermoplastic material. "

Stevan26

Established Member
Where did u get coil covers that look like that?!?!? My gawd. I love them

Edit..

I think I might have found the guy here on the forum that does it...

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
They are heat shrink hose clamps, much tighter than you would think!

From the site :
"Gates thermoplastic clamp maintains a dynamic tension so that it never needs retightening. Whenever the engine reaches operating temperture, the shrink forces of PowerGrip SB readjust to a consistent clamping force. In addition, its clamping force increases as the temperature drops below 40 degrees F, thereby tightening the connection.

Cold leaks, which normally occur when the temperature drops below 40 degrees F, are eliminated.

Installation using a heat gun is fast and easy, including hard-to-reach places. Heat-gun attachments permit installation in confining areas that would be extremely difficult to reach using a screwdriver on conventional worm-drive screw clamps.

The PowerGrip SB hose clamp features a smooth surface that won't rust, corrode, or result in cut fingers during installation. PowerGrip SB hose clamps are completely resistant to all automotive fluids including oil, antifreeze and even brake fluid.

Wider than conventional clamps, PowerGrip SB hose clamps can be positioned over the raised bead on the end of the fitting nipple - even cast metal.

PowerGrip SB clamps are readily removed with Gates' specially-designed clamp removal tool. The clamps also can be removed using a soldering iron to melt through the thermoplastic material. "

Never seen or heard of those
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread