Boiler Operator ?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
In English, super critical versus non-critical? Same boiler operator license?

Babcock & Wilcox to supply superheater components to U.S. power customer
Sep. 18, 2020 3:11 AM ET|About: Babcock & Wilcox Enterpris... (BW)|By: Mamta Mayani, SA News Editor

Babcock & Wilcox (NYSE:BW) perks 6% after-hours on announcement that its B&W Thermal segment will design, manufacture and supply new superheater components for a B&W Universal Pressure supercritical boiler at Luminant’s Oak Grove Power Plant near Franklin, Texas.

Engineering is underway for the contract, which was awarded to B&W’s subsidiary, The Babcock & Wilcox Company. Components will be manufactured in B&W’s Monterrey, Mexico, facility.

Material delivery to Oak Grove is scheduled for February 2021.

The boilers are designed to operate ~1100° F and at supercritical pressures, producing power with lower overall emissions than subcritical pressure boilers.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Each State where a Boiler Operator license is required has different standards and requirements.

Typically you have levels that allow you to be the licensed stationary engineer for a particular station based on that level and the plants operating capacity.

Super Criticals run above 3200PSI. I’d have to look at the code for Texas, but most likely your employer will give you 6 months to obtain whatever level they require based on the job you’re performing.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Supercritical: water turns directly into steam under intense pressure, 3000+ psi.

I can't speak on the license

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
This statement is misleading. Water and steam share the same properties at these pressures and conditions. To say the water “turns directly to steam” is inaccurate.

So if something bad happens with supercritical, you should start running sooner? :eek:

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
So if something bad happens with supercritical, you should start running sooner? :eek:

Well, define “bad.”

Most all plants have H2 cooled generators which if operated/purged improperly can level the entire plant.

If you’re referring to a tube leak, while violent, the boilers are designed to withstand those without damaging the facility.

If you’re referring to a steam header bursting, whether it’s 1800psi steam or 3200psi SCF, and you’re in the area, you probably won’t have much to worry about. Ever again.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
All boilers are dangerous, so many variables on older stuff. The new systems have redundant safety measures. They all can kill you and destroy property. Hell, even a hot water heater can launch through a house. These 50 year olds are my responsibility.
5e27941a822342854e8ae49bb2632351.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
This statement is misleading. Water and steam share the same properties at these pressures and conditions. To say the water “turns directly to steam” is inaccurate.

Yeah, you're right. I should've said behaves instead of turns in to.

ziggity

Established Member
At those pressures the steam/water mixture have the same density as water requiring a circulating pump in the boiler loop.

Users who are viewing this thread