Bolt-On Spacers vs. Spacer and new studs

Dickie

Arizona Heat Sux
Established Member
i thought i did an adequate search on this topic but didn't come up with the answer i was looking for.

I need some spacers for my 315 BFG's. obviously. my question is, is the pricing the only difference between the bolt-on spacers with integrated studs vs. spacers with studs you have to press in?

are the bolton spacers just as safe as the regular spacers? i'm wanting to go with the 35mm Bolt On's from lethalperformance.

if this topic has been posted 72 times before i apologize in advance. :beer:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
well since the rears have to deal with the torque i did 3 inch moroso studs but the fronts when adding skinnes just use the bolt on spacers. this is with racing in mind if your just cruising bolt on spacers are fine in the rear

svt2ner

Established Member
35mm is huge for a spacer in the rear. think those are meant for the front with skinnies

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
hmmm.. .will be taking it to the strip.

i would do the 3 inch studs then much safer in the rear. I did mine on my 97 and most people said removing the axle shafts is a must but. You dont have to just remove the calipers/rotors and punch out the old studs(rotate the axle shaft to a cerain point and they will come right out. Now when installing the longer ones i grinded a flat spot/notch in the back of the stud so that it clears the abs ring.

but with the 03-04 with irs you dont even need to do that its much easier let me find the write up how to i did excactly what they did

Last edited:

svt2ner

Established Member
I went through this saga over a year ago trying to get 1/2in spacers in with the cheapo moroso studs... ended up breaking 9/10. Went back to factory studs and 1/4in spacer. Then I put the arp studs on my dads car, had 0 issues.

Dickie

Arizona Heat Sux
Established Member
35mm is huge for a spacer in the rear. think those are meant for the front with skinnies

well i was shooting for the 3/8's spacer (what majority of folks are using with bfg's) which equates to 31mm. figure i'd make double sure i'd only have to purchase a pair of spacers once and go with 35mm with lil extra spacing.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
The Moroso will rust, thats why their cheaper. i went with Arp, and there pretty damn simple to do, with a impact and sledge.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I went with LFP 3/8" hub-centric spacers and ARP studs. The ARP studs are probably overkill, but I didn't trust only having 5-6 threads on the factory studs for the lug nuts to thread on to. Something as important as this you're better off safe than sorry.

Jefe

Established Member
Whats going on man? Get your tune squared away? I was wondering when you were gonna get some bigger meats for the rear.

Depending on how wide your tires are, 30mm should bring it out flush if not extend the tread out just beyond the fender. I am running 275 Nitto NT05's with a 30mm hubcentric spacer here:

2009-12-21-151911.jpg

Dont go to the track at all so didnt see the need for studs but at least I picked up the hubcentric ones

Last edited:

Dickie

Arizona Heat Sux
Established Member
whats up jefe?

yeah man had to get some new rears, 1st and 2nd gear were retarded. i'll be running 315 bfg's... so i probably will go with the 35mm. when i lowered the jack on the cobra after throwing them on i heard some nice rubbing, stuck my head under there and saw tire squished on the inner fender lining. guess i should of read up a lil more on here first, thought the low profile bolt would be enough :)

heading out of town for a little bit, probably hit up mike when he's at the hobby shop on base, make sure i don't **** up pressing in the studs.

Users who are viewing this thread