bolt on subframes

EL Conquistador

Established Member
well im still planning on lowering the car soon but wanted to install some weld on subframes first but to my suprise i just noticed that my brother who owned the car previously had already installed bolt on connectors, my question is what are the cons of bolt ons,and is there any reason i couldnt go ahead and have them welded on as well as bolted any advice would be helpful

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
You can weld them on. If they are not full length it would be better to weld on this type from steeda or MM, do some searching, lot's of info on subs.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I'm betting you're just looking at the shitty factory subs that were installed on the Verts. If so, they are worthless. Buy MM full length and have them welded on and don't look back.

cobraracer46

Banned
w any advice would be helpful
Do what I did and install a full on frame kit. A frame kit should be considerd mandatory on a convertible and dont listen to the people that say that this set up is overkill.:burn:As for the best subframe connector set up on the market, Griggs gets my vote. I have welded in a set of Maximum Motorsports subframes and I recommend them, plus they will work with the griggs upper set as well. If you buy a complete Griggs frame kit, you get lower, upper subframes and all of the bulkhead stiffening plates in one shot.

Here I am installing and welding in a "Griggs frame kit" in my 2001 Cobra convertible. Griggs is the best because a standard lower subframe connector(my cobra already had a set of Global West lower subframes without the ladder crap) is welded in the middle to a set of upper frame rails complete with bulkhead stiffeners. This system is more like having a set of 4X12's instead of a bunch of 2x4's and adds a ton of stiffness.
3939478091_40eb1bf7fd_b.jpg

3940256880_05db19ac38_b.jpg

Bulkhead plates welded in to the B pillar and rear seat area.

4300916934_7178890b4e_b.jpg

Completed install, only the rear portion of the upper rail of the Griggs frame kit is visible from inside the car.
4300170071_41ea672351_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread