Boost activated cutouts?

goingbyebye

Established Member
I had them on a supra. Between shifts they close and you have to build boost again. Real pain in the ass. Once it finally opened again good to go but dyno showed loss of power when waiting to open. On the order of 30+ whp closed. If held open good to go. I switched to an electric QTP. All in all just a gimmick.
Joe

Jmurrz

Established Member
I had them on a supra. Between shifts they close and you have to build boost again. Real pain in the ass. Once it finally opened again good to go but dyno showed loss of power when waiting to open. On the order of 30+ whp closed. If held open good to go. I switched to an electric QTP. All in all just a gimmick.
Joe

I would think that because on a supra you have some lag and need some time to build boost... Most of the Cobra's out there are supercharged and there is no lag time to build boost. I think that is a cool idea and would be curious to see how it works on a supercharged car. Not to say that a regular electric cutout wouldn't work, but you wouldn't have to worry about opening and closing it.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I think a throttle actuated cutout would be a lot cooler. Kind of like the C6 Vettes butterfly valves that open as the throttle is applied and fully open at WOT

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I would think that because on a supra you have some lag and need some time to build boost... Most of the Cobra's out there are supercharged and there is no lag time to build boost. I think that is a cool idea and would be curious to see how it works on a supercharged car. Not to say that a regular electric cutout wouldn't work, but you wouldn't have to worry about opening and closing it.

This is the turbo section so I am pretty sure he is talking about doing this on a Turbo Cobra :) Atleast I would hope.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I agree with goingbybye. I could see them working in an auto. Open DP vs closed exhaust requires a different tune. I see too many problems for them to be worth it.

I ran my turbo 5.0 with no mufflers and man it sounded awesome. Still spooled like great but wasn't overly noisy or fumes in the car.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
A new tune is not required for open or closed DP. I ran my car with a 3" electric cutout for years. Tune was always spot on either way. I have built a few other turbo Cobras and never had the need for a retune running electric cutouts. As long as your tuner knows what he is doing you are good to go.

Venomous 03

Established Member
Cutouts are used to make boost faster,so why use them AFTER boost is made?

A WOT activated cutout would be alot more functional and noce on the street,driving around normal and open when your on smash mode

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I'm going with Electric cutouts just open them up for track/racing and close them back up without worrying about what they are doing. I do envy the setup in the C7 Stingrays goes from silent to nearly straight pipe, but ti seems to complex to add on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread