Boost and compression

blake4powers

Slowly Learning
Established Member
Hey guys,
I have a question that I've been trying to find the answer for but can't seem to find.:shrug:

I have a rebuilt 99 with about 20k miles on it. I found a pretty decent deal on a p-1sc kit that supposedly has everything I need ($2600). I want to jump on it but I'm bored .20 over and running 10.5/1 compression. I read that with that high of compression, it would definitely not end well.

I guess that my question is, is this true? I know I can get low compression Pistons, but would that be enough? Is there any easier ways to bring down the compression?

Thanks in advance!
Blake

jeason15

Established Member
these motors love boost, but IMO, 10.5:1 is a little high for a boosted application. Its not so high that it will be impossible to do safely, but you will want a very moderate tune, and good gas.... other than that, you could change your pistons. general rule of thumb, is a dished (concaved) piston will lower your CR, and a domed (convex) will raise it. there are other factors for boosted applications that need to be accounted for; ie. fuel requirements, bottom end, valve train, oil pump, etc, but those are for another time. short and sweet, your current setup is doable, but not ideal...

Users who are viewing this thread