Boost and compression

blake4powers

Slowly Learning
Established Member
Hey guys,
I have a question that I've been trying to find the answer for but can't seem to find.:shrug:

I have a rebuilt 99 cobra with about 20k miles on it. I found a pretty decent deal on a p-1sc kit that supposedly has everything I need ($2600). I want to jump on it but I'm bored .20 over and running 10.5/1 compression. I read that with that high of compression, it would definitely not end well.

I guess that my question is, is this true? I know I can get low compression Pistons, but would that be enough? Is there any easier ways to bring down the compression?

Thanks in advance!
Blake

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Don't know if I can answer. I have a P1SC on my 99 ....rebuilt .20 over...My compression is near stock? 9.85:1(??). I have 3 core aftercooler...I think you would be ok with the right tune?.....

IMHO...a Centri with too low of a compression ratio can be a dog off the line....

If you have a tuner in mind....give him a call and ask...I think you would be ok? Aftercooler and high octane fuel should protect you at that ratio....Maybe tuner would have to pull a bit of timing?

See if anyone else has opinions??

Mach828

Established Member
You will be fine with a conservative tune. You don't need to worry about compression until you are seeing high boost levels, high IATs, and you are running low octane fuel. Centri's don't generate much heat, and have really low IATs with an good intercooler setup.

The only result of switching to low compression pistons is paying to have less power.

Regulars520

Established Member
Switch to E85 or run meth injection or a conserved tune. How much psi you plan to run plays a big part in it too.

P.S each and every person will have a different say. Mine is from my PERSONAL build and experience. Good tune, good fuel, and good parts and you will be ok. However you are kind of playing with what could be a time bomb. Crappy fuel alone could end your day badly. Switch to E85 and you will reduce your risk of detonation. You can run a meth injection system but then you depend on that system being functional and tank full. Save yourself the headache

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
That compression in a modular engine is no issue. Bolt the blower on and let her buck.

MOTOWN M

Established Member
You will be fine , i run 10.1 comp with 93 octane , and an Alky control dual nozzle meth kit (straight M1 meth) , and 26 psi of boost , and a six core 1550hp procharger intercooler.

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
We really need to know what Piston and Rod combination you have in the engine. If you are still running stock rods and pistons that are not forged you will probably have some issues depending on the amount of boost you are running.... The compression ratio will work just fine as mentioned, but has the engine been built with quality parts?

Users who are viewing this thread