boost and speed limiter dumb question

lpheaven

Established Member
Been datalogging on a deserted road and did 2 5th pulls and nearing 7K rpm i noticed a stall in power. I also noticed i was right near the OE speed limiter and then had a bit of belt slip - just enough to make a puff of smoke (rubber smell was a dead giveaway)
Question is:
If im still making boost as i hit the the speed limiter, i assume the belt would slip - expected behavior ?

Thanks in advance for any input before i call Procharger and have them lift the limiter.

dennisn

Established Member
Id be surprised if you have the oe limiter in place. I'm assuming you have an aftermarket tune with the blower.

If it's an auto it could be shutting down power if your approaching 5th. Seen where it won't let it shift to 5th at wot. Know it has nothing to do with your belt slip but something else to be aware of. If your an m6 well disregard this post.

jn2

Established Member
Your supercharger will spin with the engine, the ECM usually does spark cut when you hit redline, it can do a fuel cut as well.

When datalogging be sure to log:

- spark source
- fuel source
- Driver demand limit source
- Torque source

This will tell you what limit kicked in. IIRC my stock limiter was set to 145mph. If you are boosted and have at least Z rated tired you should be okay raising it to at least 160mph

lpheaven

Established Member
Your supercharger will spin with the engine, the ECM usually does spark cut when you hit redline, it can do a fuel cut as well.

When datalogging be sure to log:

- spark source
- fuel source
- Driver demand limit source
- Torque source

This will tell you what limit kicked in. IIRC my stock limiter was set to 145mph. If you are boosted and have at least Z rated tired you should be okay raising it to at least 160mph

Thanks ! will reset my pids.
Its a boosted Boss. Redline should be 7500 but stopped pulling just before 7k. I'll spend more time tomorrow and report back after a balance check. 265/295 MPSS tires with about 2.5k on them so a few pulls to 150 + is fine. Not staying there just doing 2 pulls max and troubleshooting some bad NVH when i noticed i hit a ceiling - i'm 99% sure its the whiteline bushing. I bored it out a bit like some folks and was drastically reduced. So next are the pids above. Definitely some belt slip. Not the goal for top speed but the sudden drop off pissed me off. Its a 8 rib near max tension and it was pretty cool out. Car was warmed up but not hot. we'll see tomorrow

Thanks Again

Users who are viewing this thread