Boost Bypass Setting

Silver04Snake

Established Member
I've looked all over and all I see is how to disable it. How do you set it correctly? I've seen preloading it an 1/8" but is there a way to do it with a vacuum gauge and what is the spec? Thanks

Silver04Snake

Established Member
I'm hoping someone will eventually see this and know what to set it to. I thought I saw someone say 5" Hg with a vacuum gauge. I don't think it's harming anything the way it's set now.

03yellow

Established Member
?

Silver04Snake said:
I've looked all over and all I see is how to disable it. How do you set it correctly? I've seen preloading it an 1/8" but is there a way to do it with a vacuum gauge and what is the spec? Thanks

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I was always wondering if bypass is worth it. It seems you would build some serious pressure using one. I wouldn't touch it.

Silver04Snake

Established Member
I'm not meaning to disable like mod that people do, I want to set it after I took my blower off for porting. I saw the thing that Steigemeier put up but my eyes aren't calibrated to an 1/8" that's why I was trying to find out if you can use a vacuum gauge to set it. I thought someone was talking about attaching a vacuum "pump", bringing it up to 5" of vacuum and then tightening the bolts that hold it onto the blower. I just slapped it on when I got back from porting.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
You know I was wondering the exact same thing myself. What I did was loosen the 2 10 MM bolts that hold the boost bypass actuator in place. I lifted the actuator upward until the lever came off of the stop and then put it back on the stop without depressing the lever any further. It is basically resting on the stop but resting snug. Boost comes on very quickly and it holds all the way through the RPM range. I did not use a vacuum gauge. However, when I accelerate nomally sometimes I can actually see the boost gauge wiggle a hair just for a split second.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
This came up in another post and I posted this. I wasn't the first to ever think of this, and JB advised me to use 5 in.HG of vacuum.

I like it because it's easily duplicated and if you don't like the 5 in.HG setting, you can easily make it 4.5 or 4 or 3.5 or 3 and know what it's set to when your done.

With the car OFF remove the Vacuum Line on the Top of the Boost-By-Pass Valve that faces somewhat forward and towards the Drivers Side Fender.

Loosen the 2 bolts that hold the Boost-By-Pass Valve to the Supercharger

Attach a piece of Tubing from a Hand Vacuum Pump (AutoZone) to the open port on the Boost-By-Pass Valve.

Apply a small amount of Vacuum to the Boost-By-Pass Valve, this will retract the arm a certain measured amount. (I used 5 in.HG on my car)

Adjust the height of the Boost-By-Pass Valve so the Lever is just resting on the Stop. Do not apply any additional downward force on the Boost-By-Pass Valve when tightening it.

Tighten the 2 Bolts that hold the Boost-By-Pass Valve to the Supercharger.

Remove the Hose that goes to the Boost-By-Pass Valve from the Hand Vacuum Pump. This will release the vacuum on the Boost-By-Pass Valve and apply that certain measured amount of downward force on the Lever.

Re-Install the Vacuum Line on the Boost-By-Pass Valve.

Last edited:

Silver04Snake

Established Member
This is what I was looking for and thanks for the writeup. These are the kind of writeups that should go in the tech or how to section so that they are easy to find. These things are so obscure but it's a good thing to know how to set. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread