Boost Bypass...

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Do any of you run with the boost bypass disabled?

Can anyone here elaborate on the pros/cons or anything else you can tell me about this? I had a friend that owns a Lightning briefly tell me about it and want more input from an actual '03 Cobra owner.

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
i would also like some info on that - ive heard its a must if u change boost - and i heard dont touch it - its not safe - i would also like to know what the difference at the track is e.t. and mph

six speed

Established Member
I was at the track sat. when I shifted some times it loses some power boost or fuel I road in friends car and it did the same thing maybe all cars need this mod. The car does not do this all the time but when I was at the track it did it all the time third and fourth gear.

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
When I dynoed my car when it was stock and on the third pull I disconnected the solenoind that opens the bypass valve and made 7 more RWHP than the last run. First run was 371, then 368, then 375. Vacuum from the motor will open it when you let off of the gas, so it's safe to run around with it bypassed or disconnecting the solenoid. You're not bypassing the valve, just the computer control of the valve.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Well I was told several things about it. I was told it kicks in when traction control kicks in and also in between shifts it vents the boost for a split second so in the next gear you have to rebuild the boost. Also, I was told it's better to disconnect it when doing a burnout before staging because something about the boost left over getting vented or something and you bogg off the line from the boost venting or something. I can't remember exactly what he said but he said some people have problems if you don't disconnect it when running at the track and you need to do a burnout. My buddy also informed me that the only issue with disconnecting it is a software code is stored in the computer, will not trip the SES light and doesn't harm the motor unless you're bouncing it off the rev limiter or over revving it all the time.

This is what I know and want to hear about and get feedback about. Thanks.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I have it...not running any extra boost just yet........I can tell that there is constent boost when I shift...that is about all...

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
If you'd ever triggered the boost dump at the track, you would know the major con of not doing this mod. A very good launch at the track wil trigger the computer to dump the boost. You go, you sputter, a second later you go again. Very frustrating.

That happened to me twice at the track (over about 40 runs) on what felt like my two best launches. Never had an issue on the street.

The removal of the load from the engine should still trigger the solenoid to vent boost on shifts.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
I believe the only thing the mod does is get's rid of the software code and that's pretty much it. You can just disconnect the solenoid and if you ever want to clear the codes, just disconnect the battery.

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
cool thanks - i just picked up my car 2 weeks ago - i was wondering some times my boost doesnt come up as fast as other times - preferribly if im beatin on the car and or its hot is it possible that the bypass is opening and not letting me get as much boost

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
It is the 2nd Solenoid in from the front of the supercharger on the drivers side. i have a pic that terry sent me from sfph but i dont know how to put it up sorry

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
you guys are pathetic...

doesn't anyone follow the links that I post? :shrug:

or rather, that 03SoCalCobra posted?

Users who are viewing this thread