Boost Gauge Overlay-Any Tips?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Ray's directions are pretty good....just take your time getting the cluster out and especially when setting the overlay down onto the gauge. 03Redfiresnk helped me with mine and it came out great....

gatzer

Established Member
Anyone have a phone number or website address for it?

maddrabitt

Established Member
once you get the headlight swithc off it takes all of a few minutes. i used tweezers to hold my overlay so i didnt get finger prints but you dont really need to, the bezel covers the edges up. just take your time.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Yep, you have pull the boost needle off which throws off the "calibration". You need everything in the instructions.

maddrabitt

Established Member
when i did mine i couldnt find a handheld air pump so i just tee'd in my autometer boost guage behind the glove box and held it in my hand as i drove to compare it to the stock guage with the overlay. i actually got my needle on right on the first try. i could see how this way would be a pain to take everything back out to move the needle if you didnt get it right on on the first go around. guess i just got lucky

a94cobra

Established Member
You don't HAVE to pull off the needle. Was this overlay always 30 bucks? Seems like in the beginning I paid less.

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
I guess it depends how accurate you want to be. Me and a couple friends just put mine on. The way they did their's is just to remove the front panel and the plastic bezel, leaving the guage cluster in tact. Marked where the needle rested. Removed needle with interior upholetery tool and clipped the pin off. Place the overlay in the proper position and reinstall the needle to the original position. Put everything back on, 20min tops for instalation. With my pullies installed I am right about 13-14lbs. That is close enough for me and a lot less time.

a94cobra

Established Member
I just cut the lower section of the overlay and put it on around the needle without ever taking it off.

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
Originally posted by a94cobra
I just cut the lower section of the overlay and put it on around the needle without ever taking it off.

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks
Ralph

a94cobra

Established Member
No pictures, and I traded that car in so I can't get you one. But all I did was cut the lower section out. Two cuts from the center slanted to each side. Makes it very easy to put on that way. You really couldn't tell once installed.

a94cobra

Established Member
How did I know you were gonna ask that. I posted then went to work and thought I didn't tell them how to fix the needle.

What I did and it really worked very easy. I took a razor blade and a pair of pliers. I bent the edge of the razor blade into a 90 degree corner. Only about a 1/4 inch of it. Then proceeded to use that holding it with the pliers to take off the little tab. If you use a new blade they are very sharp and it takes very little effort to remove the tab.

I thought I could just do it that way and be done faster. It worked perfectly for me. Others would complain the factory guage wasn't accurate and needs to calibrated. I just didn't want to go through all the trouble, and I have access to a vacuum pump.

Users who are viewing this thread