Boost leak on Paxton?

92fiveohfox

Established Member
It's the 11 degrees of timing off the line and stock converter. I only went 1.9s with stock converter on 93 and more timing than you.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Even with the 11-13.5 degrees I am getting 0 knock (not negative). This is why Matt @ Lund decided to keep it low. Thoughts on why? Do I just need to run octane booster with every fill up?

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Even with the 11-13.5 degrees I am getting 0 knock (not negative). This is why Matt @ Lund decided to keep it low. Thoughts on why? Do I just need to run octane booster with every fill up?

Your gas sucks. Need to find some better gas. If you don't want to drop the cash for e85 right now, just get a "torco tune" that you can run at the track or when racing and add a can of torco in it.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Further investigation- still looks like boost leak. Taking all the IC piping apart/back together ONE MORE TIME... wow this is driving me nuts. Tuner and I now both agree it is boost leak somewhere looking at the logs. way too rich compared to earlier; timing separate issue. Once I get this boost leak fixed I will run again and see what mph we are talkin!!

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
FYI- fuel quality, low timing AND low boost resulted in my 117 trap speed.
Finally got boost gauge installed- at 7kRPM in 2nd gear seeing somewhere around 6 psig. Time to take off all my IC piping and try again? May pay a local shop to do the smoke test to find this leak...

5lho

Established Member
This was what I absolutely hated about centri on this car. Chasing boost leaks, ghost knock and tuning for shit gas. If you don't have t bolts, get a set now.

Boost leaks look different on log depending on where they are. Pre-maf is less of an issue, other than low power/boost levels. Post maf is freak show bc the air incoming has already been measured and fueled for, so AFR/Lambda is screwed up and the STFT is all over the place.

Always make sure your MAF is clocked correctly here. It should be pointing out straight at 3 o'clock, viewed from above.

I'm quite satisfied with a simple 100 shot on top of my stock engine in my current car. It was the easiest/cheapest way to bust the cage limit at the track out there. :)

hirting

Established Member
Further investigation- still looks like boost leak. Taking all the IC piping apart/back together ONE MORE TIME... wow this is driving me nuts. Tuner and I now both agree it is boost leak somewhere looking at the logs. way too rich compared to earlier; timing separate issue. Once I get this boost leak fixed I will run again and see what mph we are talkin!!

I had a crazy boost leak after my install and could not get the car tuned until I addressed it. The tuner saw the issue immediately in the data and would not tune the car until I found the leak and addressed it. I drove myself crazy for 3-4 weeks tearing apart the piping and putting it back together and still not addressing the issue. I finally had my car towed to a local shop and had it smoke tested. It turned out the O-ring gasket was missing between the throttle body spacer and throttle body. They told me smoke was pouring out around the area of the throttle body. They popped in a new O-ring and the leak was gone and I was able to tune the car properly. I wish I would have done that sooner. It would have save me several weeks of pulling my hair out and breaking clamps due to over tightening. I would definitely check the throttle body and make sure the O-Rings are in place and if it still does not address the issue, get the smoke test done and save yourself some time and headaches.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
You guys are awesome. T-bolts arrived yesterday (along with a JLT intake :) ) and I removed the IC piping last night to install. I will take off the TB and confirm those o-rings, might even buy new ones at autozone this afternoon. If my MPH is still low after track tomorrow I will do the smoke test at local shop.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
5lho, my last car had 100 shot so I had to go supercharger or turbo this time. The learning process for intercooler piping is slow but I am getting there.

hirting

Established Member
Keep us posted! After you get it figured out you should be set for a while! I have not had a single issue in about a year and 3 road coarse events.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Well, got t-bolt clamps on and new intake on and MPH went down. The DA was ~2200 so my corrected time is similar but time to get a smoke test done. Going to Midnight Performance Houston ASAP.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
corrected last night - [email protected]
corrected weekend before - [email protected]

so, may be all she has in it with this low timing but I ran race gas as well last night (110 octane) so was hoping to get some more timing out of that. Will let you guys know what I find in smoke test.

5lho

Established Member
Yeah, I can understand your frustration. That's pretty slow for all the expense of an SC. I did 11.9 at 115 on my tune-only 2012, back when I owned it. Low 11s was super-easy on my new 14 car with the jug. Sea-level passes so, no correction. Maybe you need some suspension or tire attention.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Did you log it to see if it was adding more timing with the race gas? If not, won't pick up anything.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Updates- check valves on PCV hose were leaking boost into intake. removed all PCV tubing to intake/tb. Now seeing much better datalogs; timing now 14 degrees with no negative knock.

Will re-run with some torco or 110 at the track and hope for finally a decent run. Summary- remove the PCV systems and running a lot better but still need to confirm on track or dyno.

Gruca

Established Member
Updates- check valves on PCV hose were leaking boost into intake. removed all PCV tubing to intake/tb. Now seeing much better datalogs; timing now 14 degrees with no negative knock.

Will re-run with some torco or 110 at the track and hope for finally a decent run. Summary- remove the PCV systems and running a lot better but still need to confirm on track or dyno.

How did you figure out the check valves were doing that? I'd be curious to test mine as well. Did you just replace the PCV with breathers? If so, where'd you get them (part number if you're feeling awesome lol)?

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
I had a smoke test done and smoke started coming out of the intake. I removed them completely for now and plugged all ports on the intake. Vent is open right now on valvecovers...

Sent from my SM-G930P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread