Boost levels & times on a VMP 2.65

ITSTOCK

Established Member
My best with my 3.4 Whipple crusher is 9.81 @ 139.8 (6.27 1/8 mile). I'm trying to get this bad boy into the 5's and I don't think the 3.4 has it in her. Maybe if I upped it to 30 pounds. Anyway I'm wondering if a ported 2.65 on 28 pounds could get me there.

The 3.4 on a stock long block most definitely has 5's in it on a full weight car, and will do it at 28#'s 3.25 upper/stock lower. Been there.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ok interesting, I have a 6# lower with a 3.5 upper 9.5:1 Gibtecs (E85). Here's my slip. I have a MASSIVE amount of weight reduction too, I'm probably at 3175 pounds
BD600C42-04E1-486E-84AA-D62AA7FA287D.jpeg

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
From looking at that slip, get that 60 down and you’ll do it.
Ok, I'm on a T56 Magnum btw. Yeah I agree though, I need to get that 60 foot down. That was revving it to 3,000 and feathering it aggressively.

Last edited:

ITSTOCK

Established Member
What tire? What suspension? 2 step? I mean, you aren’t far off from a decent 60 at that power, I’d expect mid 1.3’s no better.

What are your iats? What’s your peak timing at?

Either way, at that weight, this should be easy. Any pictures of the spark plugs after a pass?

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Tire psi is 12 in rear
8.8 w/9" ends on a spool with 3.55's.
Double adjustable uppers and lowers. The height on the lowers is adjustable as well and I have them set so the lower control arms are just about parallel to the ground.
It's got a huge trunk ice box so I keep the iat2's around 90 degrees. I believe Malcolm and I agreed to set peak timing to 20 degrees.
I'm on Mickey Thompson 3055's (28.5x10 stiff walls w/tubes).
I think I need to launch harder next time out, go to like 4,000 or 4,500 and try dumping it? See if the track will take it

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Do you have logs?

What I’m getting at is that your pulley/engine combo should be in the 28# range and you’re trapping roughly 10mph lower than where you should be. The car is way down on power. Can you confirm your TB is actually opening 100%?

I went 148 through the traps 500 pounds heavier than you on pump e85/stock long block, on 3.25 upper/stock lower 28#’s.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Do you have logs?

What I’m getting at is that your pulley/engine combo should be in the 28# range and you’re trapping roughly 10mph lower than where you should be. The car is way down on power. Can you confirm your TB is actually opening 100%?

I went 148 through the traps 500 pounds heavier than you on pump e85/stock long block, on 3.25 upper/stock lower 28#’s.
Yeah it's definitely opening 100%. I made a pedal stop actually to make SURE it was going WOT and also so I didn't rip the throttle cable out of TeamZ accelerator pedal lol (happened on a pull).

Yeah correct my current pulley combo is 28#'s. Everything with the car seems fine, I send samples to Blackstone labs and the plugs look good. I do have a log from a run I went 10.6X on so I let off way before the finish line (the track told me no more 9's that day since the car is a vert with a 4 point roll cage). They wanted me to have a 10 point

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Any belt slip? If you had a log I wouldn’t ask all these questions, something is definitely amiss though.

What’s your plug gap? Does it feel flat in the upper rpm range? I needed to gap down to the .016-018 range to avoid blowout (br7ef is what you should be running, or same)

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Any belt slip? If you had a log I wouldn’t ask all these questions, something is definitely amiss though.

What’s your plug gap? Does it feel flat in the upper rpm range? I needed to gap down to the .016-018 range to avoid blowout (br7ef is what you should be running, or same)
They're gapped to 23 to 24 thousandths and yeah they're the br7ef's. I'm shifting at 6,300 as well (should i be taking it higher?) It feels great all the way to 6,300 actually. As for belt slip I don't think there's any, i use those griptec pulleys and they work WELL (i was getting belt slip before that pulley). Here's the log i let out on

Attachments

• justin-whipple-drag-01-16.csv
    207.1 KB · Views: 45

ITSTOCK

Established Member
They're gapped to 23 to 24 thousandths and yeah they're the br7ef's. I'm shifting at 6,300 as well (should i be taking it higher?) It feels great all the way to 6,300 actually. As for belt slip I don't think there's any, i use those griptec pulleys and they work WELL (i was getting belt slip before that pulley). Here's the log i let out on

I'd add a couple degrees timing in the mid-upper and see why it's pulling 2* with such low IAT's on E85. Your max timing in that run was 19.5, but lets ignore the timing and assume that was okay, it wouldn't have made the drastic differences in where you should be, though I'd definitely be a couple degrees higher from 5k rpm up to 20*.

I guess you don't have a wideband tapped in to SCT (assuming that's what you're logging with)? And you're not logging boost?

I would be shifting higher than 6300, more like 6700, and honestly, you might have hit the rev limiter at 7k? on the shift, tough to tell with the limited log file. Your shifting RPM even with just that run file is really erratic.

In that log, you're 114 downstream on a 1/8 pass, probably reflects as a 130's temp through the 1/4. Not enough to have any effects and shouldn't be pulling any timing.

Without having the missing data, I'd still gap the plugs down to .016 and see what happens. At 28#'s, this is where I needed to gap down. It would be extremely helpful if you could log the MAP/boost and AF though.

Back to the weight thing, it's really tough to get 3100# race weight on these cars. If you're really that light, you could still have a handful of issues and reach the 5's 1/8.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd add a couple degrees timing in the mid-upper and see why it's pulling 2* with such low IAT's on E85. Your max timing in that run was 19.5, but lets ignore the timing and assume that was okay, it wouldn't have made the drastic differences in where you should be, though I'd definitely be a couple degrees higher from 5k rpm up to 20*.

I guess you don't have a wideband tapped in to SCT (assuming that's what you're logging with)? And you're not logging boost?

I would be shifting higher than 6300, more like 6700, and honestly, you might have hit the rev limiter at 7k? on the shift, tough to tell with the limited log file. Your shifting RPM even with just that run file is really erratic.

In that log, you're 114 downstream on a 1/8 pass, probably reflects as a 130's temp through the 1/4. Not enough to have any effects and shouldn't be pulling any timing.

Without having the missing data, I'd still gap the plugs down to .016 and see what happens. At 28#'s, this is where I needed to gap down. It would be extremely helpful if you could log the MAP/boost and AF though.

Back to the weight thing, it's really tough to get 3100# race weight on these cars. If you're really that light, you could still have a handful of issues and reach the 5's 1/8.
Here's my weight, I'll respond to the rest in my next post: (These are ballpark numbers)
Mustang Cobra Vert stock weight 3,780

+40 roll-bar/subframe connectors

35 Spare tire, jack, trunk padding

40 Rear seat

20 No cats

75 SRA

35 AC delete

70 Teksid

50 Corbeau seats

60 Drag wheel setup

15 (Welds wheels were 28 pounds & SVE's were 36 each for fronts).

5 front seat belts

5 rear seat belts

10 Front sway bar

15 X-Brace

10 rear coilovers

20 Front coilovers

10 ABS pump delete block

15 Tubular A-Arms

25 BMR K-Member

10 windshield wipers, arms, motor

10 radiator overflow delete

5 cruise control

10 Mott bar

10 Quad shocks & bracket

5 Mach 460 amps

20 Tailpipes

15 Spool

15 Tubular front crash bar

5 front plastic inner wheel-well

25 Tubular rear crash bar

Total weight lost = 605 pounds

New Total 3,175

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse

I do have a wideband tapped in, it's analog 7 i think. It's around 11.5 @ WOT. And yes correct, I wasn't able to ice her down that pass, my IAT2's were bad that one.
Why did you have to gap down so low there? What was happening with yours?

Lastly, do you think i'd benefit from an MS3pro with a dyno tune? Nothing against Malcolm at all he's bad ass, and I asked if he could tune my car with an MS3 pro he just said he doesn't have the capability right now.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Here's my weight, I'll respond to the rest in my next post: (These are ballpark numbers)
Mustang Cobra Vert stock weight 3,780

+40 roll-bar/subframe connectors

35 Spare tire, jack, trunk padding

40 Rear seat

20 No cats

75 SRA

35 AC delete

70 Teksid

50 Corbeau seats

60 Drag wheel setup

15 (Welds wheels were 28 pounds & SVE's were 36 each for fronts).

5 front seat belts

5 rear seat belts

10 Front sway bar

15 X-Brace

10 rear coilovers

20 Front coilovers

10 ABS pump delete block

15 Tubular A-Arms

25 BMR K-Member

10 windshield wipers, arms, motor

10 radiator overflow delete

5 cruise control

10 Mott bar

10 Quad shocks & bracket

5 Mach 460 amps

20 Tailpipes

15 Spool

15 Tubular front crash bar

5 front plastic inner wheel-well

25 Tubular rear crash bar

Total weight lost = 605 pounds

New Total 3,175

Based on the above, I bet your race weight (with you in it, just assume 175-200) is still 3500-3600.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I do have a wideband tapped in, it's analog 7 i think. It's around 11.5 @ WOT. And yes correct, I wasn't able to ice her down that pass, my IAT2's were bad that one.
Why did you have to gap down so low there? What was happening with yours?

Lastly, do you think i'd benefit from an MS3pro with a dyno tune? Nothing against Malcolm at all he's bad ass, and I asked if he could tune my car with an MS3 pro he just said he doesn't have the capability right now.

I have Analog 8, I guess reading in Lambda, or could be e85 table, either way, reflects a solid low/mid 11 afr which again, won't affect your mph much compared to leaning it out any.

IAT's aren't out of hand, not a concern at all.

You get spark blowout which is extremely tough to see on a log, just slows acceleration, sometimes drastically, sometimes just a bit.

You aren't going to benefit from MS3 with where you're at and the tune that you have. The numbers given in the logs look solid, and the only thing you would gain is being able to easily tweak parts yourself.

I "think" your issues are more mechanical (belt slip or blowout, could be slight clutch slip but doesn't seem so). I'll also add that your battery voltage is far too low, again, mechanical, can at least verify that in the log.

Users who are viewing this thread