Boost Questions

Blown96Mystic

Established Member
I have a P1SC right now with 10lbs of boost and stock internals, I was wondering if anyone has 12-14lbs of boost with stock internals. What kind of power gains would i see if i were to do this. thanks

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
I am assuming u are using the intercooler kit from ATI? I have heard of people running more than 10 psi, BUT beware that will most likely find the "weak-links" in your stock motor, ie...crank, pistons, rods,etc..

To be safe I would run lower compression...maybe with a thicker gasket. But by no means am I an expert on this.:rollseyes

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Its all in the tune. My buddy with a 99GT is running 16LBS with his non-intercooled vortech with no problems. He's making around 490RWHP. He's got a VERY rich and retarded tune if you know what i mean. He could get more out of it, but you get the risk of detonation.

-Homer

Bri'sMystic965

Established Member
I wouldn't push it if I were you (especially if the car is your daily driver). Rebuilds (as you know) are considerably $$$ and the down time is usually long.

BTW, the area most likely to give first are your piston ring lands. I've not heard of anyone (running less than 18 pounds of boost) destroying a stock forged crank.

Good luck,
Brian

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
I wouldn't go over 10lbs without getting forged internals unless you can afford a blown engine and a couple of months to get it fixed.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I wouldn't go over 9 lbs. without upgrading to forged internals.

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
I was running around 9.5lbs on stock internals at max boost. The engine very rarely ever saw that much boost, though.

Peter

Established Member
This forged internals stuff is way overdone. You are
starting off with about a 10:1 compression, ideally
you want about 8.5:1. So if you are not going to lower
your compression, keep it rich and take out timing, and
use the best pump gas possible. I am running about
10lbs boost @6800 for about 2 years now and have had
no problems yet.

Pete.

Bostard

Established Member
I agree with captain4g63. Get some water injection. As long as you are able to keep out of detonation land and keep your fuel ratios in check.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
im starting to see blue smoke at startup.....

has anyone had these problems. Im thinking oil might be getting into the intake somehow.. I took off the upper intake and there was oil on all sorts of crap.

??

-Homer

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by IUP99snake
im starting to see blue smoke at startup.....

has anyone had these problems. Im thinking oil might be getting into the intake somehow.. I took off the upper intake and there was oil on all sorts of crap.

??

-Homer

I've heard about oil blowing back from the
pvc - could this be getting into your intake?

Pete

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
i checked the one that vents to the inlet side of the supercharger, and there was a little oil in it. I pulled off the hose just before the throttle body, and there was no oil.

I checked the other one.. the one that vents to the intake, and there was some oil all in it.. i just dont know how much. Im gonna put breathers on it, and see how much that helps.

-Homer

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
It's only a matter of time before it will go south. I dont care how rich you run it or how much timing you take out. HP is HP when it comes to how strong your bottom end is. I have a friend that ran 5-6# of (turbo) boost on his 00GT and he's motor went 3 months later. Yes I know Turbos make more power. but you cant control when your engine blows up.

Hell my 01 Saleen has 16 miles on it, and I pulled the engine as soon as I got her home. But that's because im building a turbo kit for it and doing this right the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread