boost ???

96boostedsnake

Established Member
Hey guys im currently running a vortech kit on my 96 cobra has the powercooler also.
Im seeing around 8lbs of boost, do you think I could go to the next size pulley down and put a powerpipe on there.
I plan on taking it to be tuned by my local shop once the changes have been made.
What size injectors should I be running with that setup?
One last question what would be the best maf to run with that setup?

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I would say 42 lb injectors, I run 10 lbs of boost out of my vortech, and dont have an aftercooler. Is you engine built/forged? Your factory maf would be more than enough, for the current power level.

96boostedsnake

Established Member
I would say 42 lb injectors, I run 10 lbs of boost out of my vortech, and dont have an aftercooler. Is you engine built/forged? Your factory maf would be more than enough, for the current power level.

No the engine is stock.
For fuel it has a trex in line I believe...I think its the full kit from vortech.
I've only just got the car so I dont really know the history or what's all done.
Got a smoking deal on it...but just want to get a little more boost out of it if its safe to do that.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
No the engine is stock.
For fuel it has a trex in line I believe...I think its the full kit from vortech.
I've only just got the car so I dont really know the history or what's all done.
Got a smoking deal on it...but just want to get a little more boost out of it if its safe to do that.

Complete Vortech kit, so it probably has an FMU and stock injectors and stock MAF.

What software/hardware does your tuner use? SCT?

I would get rid of the FMU and T rex pump and the stock injectors and MAF.

And install a 255 lph pump, 42lb injectors (or get some 60lb injectors), 90mm Lightning MAF or an SCT MAF. Add the PowerPipe and keep the stock blower pullies. Get it tuned and enjoy the car.

96boostedsnake

Established Member
Complete Vortech kit, so it probably has an FMU and stock injectors and stock MAF.

What software/hardware does your tuner use? SCT?

I would get rid of the FMU and T rex pump and the stock injectors and MAF.

And install a 255 lph pump, 42lb injectors (or get some 60lb injectors), 90mm Lightning MAF or an SCT MAF. Add the PowerPipe and keep the stock blower pullies. Get it tuned and enjoy the car.

Yes you are correct, it does have the blue fmu under the hood.
Does a lightning MAF plug right in...I will order everything i need tonight online.
I just want to make sure i do everything right the first time.
So a lightning MAF, 60 lb injectors and fuel pump and i should be good to go.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Yes you are correct, it does have the blue fmu under the hood.
Does a lightning MAF plug right in...I will order everything i need tonight online.
I just want to make sure i do everything right the first time.
So a lightning MAF, 60 lb injectors and fuel pump and i should be good to go.

The Lightning MAF is a bolt in/plug in, HOWEVER, for it to work properly it needs to be tuned in.
Thats why I asked what software/hardware your tuner will be using.

Also a fresh fuel filter and a set of NGK TR6 spark plugs should be on your list as well.

96boostedsnake

Established Member
The Lightning MAF is a bolt in/plug in, HOWEVER, for it to work properly it needs to be tuned in.
Thats why I asked what software/hardware your tuner will be using.

Also a fresh fuel filter and a set of NGK TR6 spark plugs should be on your list as well.

Yes I will be getting it tuned once all my stuff is done.
Im not sure where to take the car to be tuned yet, we have 3 tuners in the area.
Should i decide on where to take it to be tuned then ask him what MAF he would prefer tune with?

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Yes I will be getting it tuned once all my stuff is done.
Im not sure where to take the car to be tuned yet, we have 3 tuners in the area.
Should i decide on where to take it to be tuned then ask him what MAF he would prefer tune with?

If they use SCT, then they shouldnt have a problem tuning with the Lightning MAF. See which one can provide you with a start up tune, that way you can get everything installed and drive it over to the tuner for a dyno tune, or you'll have to trailer it over.

Users who are viewing this thread