Boosted 99-04 GT's on stock internals.

Hawwk11

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am looking to run a vortech kit on a 04 gt with stock internals. I have spoke to a couple guys on the forum and in person who seem to have had good luck with this. I understand with the stock internals it limits the boost but just looking to have a nice safe tune that will allow me to have some fun.

I just wanted to see if their are many others out there who are on stock internals and how do you like the power of your car?

Thanks in advance.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Stock internals are fine as long as you keep boost to around 10 lbs and hp under 450. less to really be safe. It will be like driving an entirely different car.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Been running a Vortech @ 10psi on my stock 2V since 07.

I have a good tune and a shift light set at 6K so I cant get too carried away.

Hawwk11

Established Member
Stock internals are fine as long as you keep boost to around 10 lbs and hp under 450. less to really be safe. It will be like driving an entirely different car.

Thanks man. The part about an entirely different car is exactly what i wanted to hear.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I ran 10psi on my 2002 GT for almost 20k miles. I wouldn't go much above that though

Hawwk11

Established Member
I ran 10psi on my 2002 GT for almost 20k miles. I wouldn't go much above that though
Thank alot guys this makes me feel better about supercharging the stock motor. Originally i was looking for a terminator but its been a pain. The asking prices are so high and the banks wont finance more than the car is worth. I figure i can just get a gt, supercharge it and be happy.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
11psi here, 5k miles with the boost there. 5k miles of 8psi and non-intercooled. The tune is the key, trust me there's nothing else to do to a 2v that's worth doing other than put boost to it.

FastyJohn03

Established Member
build the shortblock brother learn the hard way saturday rod let go these rods just junk.. he was at same thoughts that it will hold at 10psi with 800hp fuel system and low timing

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
build the shortblock brother learn the hard way saturday rod let go these rods just junk.. he was at same thoughts that it will hold at 10psi with 800hp fuel system and low timing

When you put a power adder on a stock bottom ended 2v, you know that eventually it will let go. But you can get away with putting boost to it for a good while with a good tune, many people have done it for years and thousands of miles. You just have to be prepared for when it does go, you're ready to make the next step.

bobby_0081

Established Member
11psi here, 5k miles with the boost there. 5k miles of 8psi and non-intercooled. The tune is the key, trust me there's nothing else to do to a 2v that's worth doing other than put boost to it.

That is not a true statement. Heads and cams wake up a 2V. I laid down 350 RWHP with a N/A 2V with a stock bottom end.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
That is not a true statement. Heads and cams wake up a 2V. I laid down 350 RWHP with a N/A 2V with a stock bottom end.

As impressive as those numbers are, you have no where to go from there that isn't expensive to add more power. I can spend 100 dollars, swap a smaller pulley and add 50rwhp in a night.

Dollar for dollar a supercharger setup will be cheaper than doing it N/A every time, so unless you're into spending gobs more money than you need to, to make less power than a supercharged car, then sure that statement isn't true. This has been done forever, it's no secret.

stangfreak03GT

Established Member
When you put a power adder on a stock bottom ended 2v, you know that eventually it will let go. But you can get away with putting boost to it for a good while with a good tune, many people have done it for years and thousands of miles. You just have to be prepared for when it does go, you're ready to make the next step.

Yes be prepared. I'm pushing 17psi on a stock long block 14 psi KB pulley 10% overdrive IW pulley. I have the best tuner around. I think these motors will take a lot of abuse as long as the tune is good.

spike_africa

Established Member
As impressive as those numbers are, you have no where to go from there that isn't expensive to add more power. I can spend 100 dollars, swap a smaller pulley and add 50rwhp in a night.

Dollar for dollar a supercharger setup will be cheaper than doing it N/A every time, so unless you're into spending gobs more money than you need to, to make less power than a supercharged car, then sure that statement isn't true. This has been done forever, it's no secret.

Oh that's easy, 100hp of nitrous and it will fly. Thats my current plan for my 150hp sprayed car.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Oh that's easy, 100hp of nitrous and it will fly. Thats my current plan for my 150hp sprayed car.

And it's not there all the time like a blower is, sure a bottle is cheap but what if the bottle is empty? Or its low, or not warm enough. To many variables there for a street car.

zukman31

Established Member
Ive been pushing 12psi on my bone stock bottom end 2V for 3 years now. It is a day and night difference than a stock one. Love the car and I know it is on borrowed time but until it pops Im going to keep running the sh&* out of it. Me and Dan @ Pro Dyno has played with this tune many of saturdays to make sure it stays safe. Car put down 512 RWHP last time we had it up there. here is the video he made of it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWivYF3QBzg

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
And it's not there all the time like a blower is, sure a bottle is cheap but what if the bottle is empty? Or its low, or not warm enough. To many variables there for a street car.

A guy local to me in an 05-09 GT has nitrous (150 shot I believe) and uses it ALL the time. Stop light to stop light. Every one, every day. Went to a "dyno day" where he showed up and was barely putting down more rwhp than his car was rated at the crank stock lol. We are pretty sure he destroyed his piston rings or something and he is too closed minded to see it. I haven't seen a blower car have that kind of negative effect either in person lol.

zukman31

Established Member
A guy local to me in an 05-09 GT has nitrous (150 shot I believe) and uses it ALL the time. Stop light to stop light. Every one, every day. Went to a "dyno day" where he showed up and was barely putting down more rwhp than his car was rated at the crank stock lol. We are pretty sure he destroyed his piston rings or something and he is too closed minded to see it. I haven't seen a blower car have that kind of negative effect either in person lol.

HAHAHA yea we have a few of those around here. Nitrous is just so hard on a motor it all comes in at once, where my blower builds up through the RPM range. I have had both and love the blower so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread