Bore .020” over, or hone with new rings?

Strable781

Established Member
Hello.

Had an exhaust valve seat drop in cylinder 5 last year in my 03. Took the motor down and had the heads cleaned, decked, valve guides replaced, new valve seals and the seat fixed. Put the motor back together and the car made 515rwp on the dyno on 93 pump gas. Seemed low with the 2.3 whipple and sufficient fuel, headers and other supporting mods. Took the car home for a compression test and cylinder 8 was low/the outlier and probably my source of puffing a little oil out the exhaust. I wasn't surprised as the bottom end has just under a 100k miles and not knowing its past or history, could have been beat on and just neglected. If I pull it apart again, its getting built for 10.5:1, 800whp on e85. When the heads were off for the valve seat issue, i was able to inspect the block and pistons for any issues. I saw nothing concerning. No vertical scoring, excess bearing movement, ring ridge or anything.

To me it sounds like rings are the issue. My question is if I can get some opinions on if I should just plan for .020" over pistons or being that it sound like just rings (imo) if I can get away with a hone and new rings with stock bore 10.5:1 pistons and call it a day? This is in order for me to potentially save on machining time and to plan on getting the correct parts.

Thanks.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I would have the bores checked for taper and wear. Then depending on the results, go with a hone or smallest overbore possible for your desired piston size and clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03' White Snake

Established Member
You should buy the pistons first and have the machine shop size the bore to the pistons. Not all pistons run the same piston to wall gap. I have custom diamond pistons, the machine shop gave me a clearance of 0.006 vs the 0.012 they called for. Said they would be very noisy and cause excessive wear until warmed up. They are race pistons. Told me the 0.006 is more for a street setup.

I did go 0.020 over on my setup. Ideally you want the thickness cylinder wall as possible for strength. But under 1200 hp you have nothing to worry about.

My pistons are hardcoat anodized with the moly skirt coating. -5.22 dish with reliefs and tool steel wrist pins. On 22 psi E85, she makes 829 hp, 747 tq for reference. I calculate the CR to 10.4.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Absolutely do not buy pistons first. I agree with Quick Strike, that is the path to success. Once the machine shop has settled on a bore size that makes the cylinders true and perfect, then you order pistons.

Did you have all of the exhaust valve seats replaced I hope? If not, you should because the same thing will happen again.

Strable781

Established Member
Absolutely do not buy pistons first. I agree with Quick Strike, that is the path to success. Once the machine shop has settled on a bore size that makes the cylinders true and perfect, then you order pistons.

Did you have all of the exhaust valve seats replaced I hope? If not, you should because the same thing will happen again.
Ill have to check my recepits from machine work. Its hard to remember since it was over a year ago. But ill check. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread