Bore and Stroke to 5.0 Liter How To???

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
As the thread states, how to do it and how hard, how much. Lots of questions I know. Just want to know how to get a 4.6 to 5.0.

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
Originally posted by 01cobrakid
2k1 svt how long have you had that exhaust setup, any problems, do you like the sound?

mike

The exhaust is great, no problems, and the sound...well ...Orgasmic!!!

:thumbsup:

A perfect 10/10

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Well to stroke em to 302 cid, ya need a crank thats 3.70inch, with a .30 overbore. Then of course ya need the pistons, etc. SHM,Modmax,Livernois,and Wynnespeed, all have stroker kits, my guess is just bout any engine builder could do the overbore. (the shm kit is 298cid) To do it another way you can open up the sleeves (bore) to 3.70 inch, with the stock crank youre lookin at 302,303,304cid (depending on how your math is) this one is harder, the spacing is tight, Shm does em by takin out the old sleeves, overboring them, heatin the block, then puttin new sleeves into liquid nitrogen, then slidin the shrunkin sleeves into the swollen bores. give it a final hone to 3.70 inch and youre good to go. this is trickier, I would suggest just gettin the block done by shm, if this is the route you want-they know what they're doin. Wynnespeed, and livernoise have shortblocks, with this same "big bore" however I'm not sure if they are aluminum blocks, or just gt blocks. To my knowledge shm is the only one I 100% know does a big bore cobra block.(aluminum). Wynnespeed and livernoise and modmax all sell a big bore kit with the pistons and bearings etc. If ya have a trusted engine builder! As for the differences, John from shm told me the stroker will give ya better tq, across the board. While the big bore , unshrouds the valves, and gives more hp and rpm. (but also the low and midrange of these motors is awesome. GOOD LUCK, let us you what ya choose. I want to do a big bore block, with some cams,regular boltons. Hopefully in the 370+rwhp range then spray it with a 150shot(for the big dogs) ah someday.

Users who are viewing this thread