Borla Axle Back Exhaust vs. Bassani Axle Back Exhaust

CaliGT500524

Established Member
Hi all,

I am trying to decide between the Bassani and Borla axle back units. I like the deeper more aggressive sound that both provide, but I am looking for reasonably louder than stock but deeper without being obnoxious or too loud like what I would get from the Roush and Flowmaster Outlaw units.

My main concern, since I daily drive the car, is about potential drone issues (if any) between the two units and you guy's perspective on either if you have them on a GT500 or have had them on a GT500.

Thanks in advance!

Fast Ford

Established Member
Between Bassani and Borla, Borla has more exhaust options if you're concerned about drone. The Borla Touring series will fit your bill.

I recently went from a Ford Racing axle back which is made by Borla, that was comparable to their Attack series to a Kooks 3" cat back system. It's very quiet at idle and cruise with 0 drone and sounds very nice at WOT. I'd give a Kooks axle back system a look also.

Coosawjack

Established Member
+1 on the KOOK's!! :)

I had BORLA S-types and they were just too loud around town......perfect on the highway but most of my driving is around town!!:(

Had KOOK's and they sounded FINE but the tips stuck out of my 2014 GT too far and looked bad from the side so I moved on......bought the last pair of FRPP Tourings by BORLA and they are fine for now!! :cool:

Inittowinit

Established Member
Kooks axle backs have NASTY drone on the highway with any off-road midpipe. I know from experience. Switched to Corsa and drone disappeared.

Fast Ford

Established Member
Kooks axle backs have NASTY drone on the highway with any off-road midpipe. I know from experience. Switched to Corsa and drone disappeared.

Not sure why you had a drone issue, but I've had none. I have Kooks 1"3/4 LT's going into their 3" O/R X-pipe and continue out the back with their 3" cat back. It sounds great...

Smm7PT

Established Member
The Borla Stype are great, and best sounding exhaust but very loud and can be annoying on over 2-3 hour drive.

I went with Corsa Sport, sounds good and also 0 drone. Sounds great with factory OTA pipes removed.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Inittowinit

Established Member
Not sure why you had a drone issue, but I've had none. I have Kooks 1"3/4 LT's going into their 3" O/R X-pipe and continue out the back with their 3" cat back. It sounds great...

Yea I'm not sure what the deal was either. Had a lethal 3" off-road X into the 3" kooks catback and the drone on the highway between 1600-2500rpm was almost unbearable on any drive over 30 minutes.

I agree it sounded great. But all I changed was the catback over to Corsa Sports and it completely went away.

I have the kooks axle backs for sale if anyone wants them

Coosawjack

Established Member
Yea I'm not sure what the deal was either. Had a lethal 3" off-road X into the 3" kooks catback and the drone on the highway between 1600-2500rpm was almost unbearable on any drive over 30 minutes.

I agree it sounded great. But all I changed was the catback over to Corsa Sports and it completely went away.

I have the kooks axle backs for sale if anyone wants them

What condition are the Kooks in and do they have the longer tips??

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have the Borla Atak's with a stock midpipe and manifolds and love the sound I get from it. There is little to no drone while cruising and it sounds great when you go wot.

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
I have Borla S types but with the factory Cat pipes and it's perfect. I think if you removed the cats it would be to loud.

reeve_ryan

Established Member
I started with an off-road x and factory gt500's. It had a great overall sound but I wanted more....so, I switch to the KR's and it was awesome at WOT. The around town though was very intermittent (not clean). I'm now on my final setup which are the magnaflow street series, off-road x, and long tubes. Music to my ears at every level. Good luck with your pick

fmylife

Established Member
I love the sound of mine now... Stock mid pipe but cut off the X and installed a Mac ProChamber and have the KR mufflers with better looking tips. Tons of compliments and zero drone but very aggressive when getting on it.

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
My 11 had flowmasters on it when I bought it with the stock H and manifolds and they sounded fine at idle and around town. The drone on the freeway was beyond awful. I ended up swapping to the Bassani units and overall they sounded great, it is a little bit higher pitch then some of the others but has a nice mellow sound while cruising and then came alive when you stepped on it. Not to mention the double wall tips look awesome. I did headers and high flow cats this spring and ran the Bassani for awhile, and it still sounded really good but was loud for sure, I went back to the stock 11/12 axle back and have been running those now as I wanted to tone it down just a bit.

CaliGT500524

Established Member
My 11 had flowmasters on it when I bought it with the stock H and manifolds and they sounded fine at idle and around town. The drone on the freeway was beyond awful. I ended up swapping to the Bassani units and overall they sounded great, it is a little bit higher pitch then some of the others but has a nice mellow sound while cruising and then came alive when you stepped on it. Not to mention the double wall tips look awesome. I did headers and high flow cats this spring and ran the Bassani for awhile, and it still sounded really good but was loud for sure, I went back to the stock 11/12 axle back and have been running those now as I wanted to tone it down just a bit.

Great! Thanks for the response, I think I'm going to give the Bassani axle backs a shot. It seems like they aren't much louder than stock but give a good deeper sound, much like your experience (from what I gathered). I really dont plan on doing headers and an X Pipe and cats and all that, so I don't anticipate the axle backs by themselves to be annoyingly loud.

HaroldP

Established Member
How much were the Bassani installed

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
I installed them myself so I cant give you a installed price. Can't imagine a muffler shop charging much labor to put just the axle backs on.

Users who are viewing this thread